Railroad Forums 

• CNW U30Cs

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#323991  by Slobo

Looking to detail a CNW U30C and was wondering what year they started moving the horns from the left cab roof to behind the cab?

Also, when were those rectangular UPC-like codes (sorry not sure what they are called but some form of scanning code) were added to the side of these by the CNW?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
 #324662  by doepack

Slobo wrote:Looking to detail a CNW U30C and was wondering what year they started moving the horns from the left cab roof to behind the cab
My guess would be circa 1970, or slightly earlier, since they were delivered new just two years earlier. Unit 931 is shown in the 1970 link above, and by coincidence, there's a photo of 931 in the book "Diesels of the CNW" showing the horn in its original location as delivered to CNW in spring, 1968...

#324771  by Slobo

Wow 931's already looking pretty ratty in just 2 years in that photo. Sure it's 1970? CNW must have worked their U30Cs hard!

#325817  by Slobo

Been doing some more digging, including picking up a copy of NorthWestern Lines -- C&NWHS' magazine Vol 31, No. 4 (Spring 2004). Now here's a ral detail-oriented question: the gong bell on the right front walkway was yellow when the units were delivered in 1968 and appear to have stayed that way until around 1973 -- at least I think all units were elivered that way.

However, here's the question: were all units in fact delivered that way, or did some have naural metal beels when delivered while others had yellow painted?

Reason I ask is that I've yet to find any photos of any unique unit of the 7 units delivered that show the bell yellow early in in its life and natural metal later. All photos showing the bell show it either way but for different units.

Sorry for the detial but trying to figure which color to paint depending on the period I end up going for. Thanks!