Railroad Forums 

• Milwaukee Road E8's

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#234423  by cclune

What paint scheme were milwaukee road's E8's originally delivered in? Were they always originally painted in the UP yellow colors or did they order them in something else and then paint them over to the yellow?

#235431  by Engineer James

Brown and lighter brown I think.....

Ask Komachi... he'd know. :-D

#237206  by metra 613

There were allways in the up yellow.At 1st there were in thee 200s then there renumber them in the 30s.
 #237307  by Komachi

James quipped...

"Brown and lighter brown I think.....

Ask Komachi... he'd know. :-D"

Not exactly. About the only units I know deffinate paint schemes of are the SW-1 switchers that operated on the branch line that my hometown was a part of (the Iowa & Southern Minnesota division) and the "bandits" that operated on the DM&E and Soo Line after the MILW went under.

Didn't the MILW paint the E's in the "Hiawatha" (black on top, orange boddies and the red striping?) and/or the Orange & Grey scheme as well? I know they had the faux-UP scheme for the streamliners that were more or less shared between the Union Pacific and Milwaukee Road (I believe the Chicago & North Western was in on that too at one time, but don't quote me on that!). However, most of the "covered wagons" I've seen have either been in the orange and black or the grey scheme.

BTW, James, the MILW didn't have a "brown" scheme. All were more or less a derivative of the orange & black scheme (save for the UP inspired scheme). The Illinois Central, however, DID have a brown scheme with an orange stripe (multiple, actually... one thick one with a few pinstripes above and below if I remember correctly... IC fans can give a better description).
 #334979  by SSW9389

Milwaukee's late E units were E9s built in 1956 and 1961. There were no E8s on the Milwaukee Road. :wink:

cclune wrote:What paint scheme were milwaukee road's E8's originally delivered in? Were they always originally painted in the UP yellow colors or did they order them in something else and then paint them over to the yellow?

#337021  by Tadman

Komachi, there's five IC paint schemes for E's that I can think of.

1. Panama Limited - your standard org/brn IC paint, with two white stripes running down the brown section above the orange section. I think this applied to something like 4000-4008 E6's.
2. City of Miami had one or two E6's with a wild scheme I've only seen in black and white and I don't remember this well. It's a rarity to even see a photo.
3. The traditional org/blk setup, with the split green diamond logo and orange waterfall down the front of the locomotive. Used on any and all E's from 1955-ish to 1968-ish.
4. Modernized traditional - take the traditional setup, truncate the waterfall, and replace the split green diamond logo with the split rail logo. Replace the "Illinois Central" in something like railroad roman, and change it to Impact or whatever it was PRR used on their E44's.
5. Neo-classical. Take #3, replace the brown with grey and the orange with black. Replace the split rail with the venetian blinds rail intro'd in 1990. This was on the ex-BN E9Au's for executive trains.

#421945  by staffhog

As for MILW E-8s, I have slides showing them in a Orange with a Maroon window band that ran from the rear all the way to the number boards on the nose. I have several slides in the gray & orange scheme on E-6, E-7, & DL-109s. Maybe this scheme was present on earlier diesels but not the E-8/9s which were delivered in the early 50s.

#431189  by SSW9389

staffhog there were no E8s on the Milwaukee Road, nor were there any deliveries of E units to the Milwaukee Road in the early 1950s. The Milwaukee Road had E9s that were built in 1956 and 1961. I hope these FACTS don't confuse you or anyone else. :wink:
staffhog wrote:As for MILW E-8s, I have slides showing them in a Orange with a Maroon window band that ran from the rear all the way to the number boards on the nose. I have several slides in the gray & orange scheme on E-6, E-7, & DL-109s. Maybe this scheme was present on earlier diesels but not the E-8/9s which were delivered in the early 50s.