Railroad Forums 

• Silvis, Illinois Shops

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#205016  by FmFan

I am trying to gather information on the former Rock Island Shops in Silvis, Illinois. Specifically plans, diagrams, maps, building layouts, years various buildings built, etc. I'm guessing the Rock likely sold off this information during their purge in the 70's when they were selling anything that wasn't tied down (and some stuff that was) in order to raise cash.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated

#205973  by route_rock

If you lived here in the Rock Island area I would suggest the library. I know the Augustana library has some info on the Silvis shops. Best bet try them the Rock Island Public Library ( they may be able to send you something) adn for sure the Rock Island Technical Society.
I used to deliver traction motor skids there ( as NRE now) and got to see them inside and out. In behind the main building was a small metal building with swing doors and it said Rock Island Lines Fire dept Silvis shops. All beat up and nasty looking now. I do know you wont be getting in to take pictures as they are very strict about that.
Some pictures show large bridge pillars with nothing on them. These were used to carrya pedestrian bridge over the tracks. Also I am pretty sure the Augie collection has pictures of the shop workers having church in the yard.
Good luck hopefully you find more.

#206449  by FmFan

Thanks for the info route rock.

#207213  by route_rock

Well theres that bridge I was telling you all about :wink: Never thought to tell you look at ebay I have found some neat items off there.
 #222947  by HOBO

I think the main shop size is about 200feet x 800 feet and the warehouse behind it is about the same size. I rented a shop down there for about ten years the place is now like a haunted railroad yard with old trian doors slamming in the wind.

#226408  by Tadman

What is the disposition of the shops currently - I know little of this site.

#227410  by route_rock

Owned by National Rail. Rehabbing locos and cars there. IAIS passes by on the main to the south and BNSF to the north both can interchange locos and or cars to the shop.

#228992  by HOBO

The shops are pretty run down they only fix things if they have to. they installed a newer sand blast building and renovated one building to grind trucks. The rest of the buildings are used to store spare parts. One of the three overhead crane that are outside is still operational and is used to scrap locomotives. Most of the yard rails surrounding the main shop are used to store old locomotives. The stop rebuilds engines used for power units and services Iowa interstate railroad's engines and they also rebuilt locomotives for companies from the ground up. This shop is one of the few shops left with a transfer table that removes trucks from underneath the engine.

#236901  by Tadman

Hobo, good to hear about the overhead cranes there - that's my line of work. Also, do you mean "drop table" or "transfer table" with regards to removing trucks? A transfer table is like an overhead crane set in the ground, where a unit can be transferred from on track to another laterally, without a turnout or forward motion. A drop table lowers a truck from under the locomotive without picking the shell or prime mover up.

#238800  by HOBO

Tadman dangerous line of work during a thunder storm, I have seen lighting strike those old cranes a couple of times

#267356  by chicagorails

did they build steam engines in silvis?

#267674  by route_rock

I dont think the Rock ever built its own steam, However they were THE shop for locomotives up till the end. I have some pics of oil burners coming out of the southwest for their class repairs and rebuilds. I know if you gave Silvis the loco some parts and just stepped back they could rebuild it repair it or pick off the pieces to do that to another loco.
 #280459  by HOBO

I have some pictures from a few years ago of the Silvis shops if someone wants to post them for me