Railroad Forums 

• E-6 630 and E-8 652, are they gonna be OK?

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#146676  by B&M E7

I've been getting spotty information on what appeared to be a bankruptcy or liquidation sale, offering irreplaceable RI E units 630 and 652 up on the block.
I also heard that there were no buyers.
Can anyone offer any more information?
Are these locos in danger? AAre they going to be safe?
I haven't seen either of htese locos since they were in RI service in Chicago in the M-10970s and have been looking forward to a vist to the KC area to revisit them.

#171475  by Tadman

Last I heard they were at a museum in Baldwin City, Kansas and were in good shape summer 2004 when I visited them there. I can't remember the museum, but it had some other assorted equipment and was in good shape as well.

#173834  by route_rock

Yeah Baldwin City is who is selling them. Havent heard anything else about them. Some intrest was expressed by Mr Sabine of the IANR but RITS list and every other Rock Island list has been mum.

#192630  by Tadman

long shot - if the museum is out of money and looking to rid themselves of the units, University of Kansas is right around the corner and they have the restored UP/RI depot in town - great place to retire these units to, possibly to be operated occasionally by UP steam program like the UP E9's or CNW F7's. After all, UP almost merged CRIP and effectively owns most existing CRIP trackage post-bankruptcy anyway.

#196966  by route_rock

Wont happen unless painted UP yellow and if that happens I will be on a warpath! Send the 652 back to the quad cities! Her last assignment was the Quad City Rocket! We had a group wanted to have a railroad museum here with all kinds of great ideas.However last I knew personality conflicts got in the way and that has fallen by the wayside.
Maybe I can talk my wife into letting me buy the 630!!!

#236903  by Tadman

Maybe I can talk my sugar mama wife into letting me buy the 852. Since I'm single, that's got no chance of happenning! hehe... we can all dream.

#236992  by GN 599

Are they still for sale or bid, who could I contact. Does anyone have a current roster with current disposition of the Rock's diesel fleet? The U.P. doesn't have any of the GP40's do they?

#237650  by zwsplac

There's really no room at the depot in Lawrence for a display engine without it being an eyesore. They've put a lot of landscaping in there. These engines will find a home somewhere, they won't be scrapped. What remains to be seen is if it's a good home.