Railroad Forums 

• Wreck At Montgomery, Ill

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#9255  by bones

Back in 1964 the lift bridge at Joliet was stuck in the raised position and the Rock detoured over the Burlington form Chicago to Montgomery and the to Ottawa. Anyway one of the Rock's passenger trains had a head on with a Q freight. One of the "Trains Magazines" had an article on it, but I can't find it. Are there any old heads that worked for the Rock, or the "Q" that know more about this wreck? Also, does anybody know which issue of "Train" had that article? I've researched the internet and found nothing.

#39840  by AmtrakFan

Bones,
It was hit I believe by the KC and American Royal Zeypher of the Q I could be wrong.

AmtrakFan

#175129  by 13 times out

Here is some information on that wreck.

Train Equipment

Extra RI 656 East consisted of car-body type diesel-electric units 656, 651, 633, 750, 638 and 636, 2 baggage cars, 1 dormitory car, 3 chair cars, 1 dining car, 1 lounge car, 2 sleeping cars, 1 Baggage car, 1 mail car, 1 baggage car, 4 chair cars, 1 dining car and 1 parlor car, in that order. The cars were of all-steel construction and had tightlock couplers. The train brakes had been tested and had functioned properly when used en route.

CB&Q No.3 consisted of car-body type diesel-electric units 9920A, 9922B and 9987A, 6 baggage-express cars, 2 chair cars, 2 sleeping cars, 1 dining-lounge car, 3 chair cars and 1 sleeping car, in that order. The cars were of all-steel construction and the 3rd, 6th, 9th, 10th, 11th and 14th cars had tightlock couplers. The train brakes had been tested and had functioned properly when used en route.

John Matrow
Wichita KS

Here is a link to a photo.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=17317

Here is a report on the wreck from Jeff Prince’s site
http://www.rockisl.com/Miscellania/iccreport.htm

Sorry it took so long to get the info. John Matrow was answering the same question at RITS and that’s where I got the info from.