Railroad Forums 

• Info on CRI&P Accident in near Monteith, Iowa in 1888

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#136095  by Bess

Can anyone help me in finding information about the following accident?

On June 9th, 1888 near Monteith, in Guthrie County, IA a Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Gravel Train on the Branch was thrown. The Rear Conductor was killed and a fireman and two brakemen were severely injured.

I have a copy of a newspaper account written a week later (June 14th, 1888) and information that states the conductor's widow tried to sue the company but settled 13 months later for $200.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Bess

#136570  by route_rock

You may want to check the Guthrie county historical society and RITS for more info. Not sure where else you might find any information good luck though.
 #136620  by Bess

Thank you for your help! I have contacted the Guthrie Center but am unfamiliar with the term RITS....what does it stand for?

Thanks again,
Bess

#136678  by AmtrakFan

Bess,
Rock Island Techincal Society.

#175098  by 13 times out

:-D