Railroad Forums 

• GE might build locomotives in Massachusetts (or not)

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#916862  by doublebell

General Electric is looking into using the recently closed Gear Plant in Lynn as a backup locomotive build facility as described in today's Lynn Item. The url is: http://www.thedailyitemoflynn.com/artic ... news02.txt

John, the guy in the white car with the wing on back

* Subject lined edited by the moderator for clarity
 #916882  by FatNoah

From the article, it sounds like the location is well suited suited for the work and a determining factor will be what sort of deal GE can make with local unions. Though not stated in the article, my impression is that GM is shopping around to see which local unions will give the best deal.
 #916934  by Reader#108

Too bad they ripped up all the tracks through Saugus and Lynn....they could have used them as test areas.....or at least to have parts delivered by rail, etc....the tracks next to the facility are T commuter rail I believe
 #916943  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Reader#108 wrote:Too bad they ripped up all the tracks through Saugus and Lynn....they could have used them as test areas.....or at least to have parts delivered by rail, etc....the tracks next to the facility are T commuter rail I believe
They've still got an active siding on the former northbound wye to the Saugus Branch. Google Satellite shows tanker cars sitting on it. The 3rd mainline track that runs from the end of the drawbridge onto the wye also looks like at one point is had more tracks splitting off it into the plant. Wouldn't take much effort to throw something down that veered closer to the plant.
 #916949  by jaymac

Given GE's history of bailing from the Commonwealth, I hope this happens and is more than a bargaining chip with the other possible communities and/or Lynn officials.
 #916960  by doublebell

They've still got an active siding on the former northbound wye to the Saugus Branch. Google Satellite shows tanker cars sitting on it. The 3rd mainline track that runs from the end of the drawbridge onto the wye also looks like at one point is had more tracks splitting off it into the plant. Wouldn't take much effort to throw something down that veered closer to the plant.
There was never a wye there. The tank cars you see were parts of two T rail wash sets that spent time there last Fall.
John, the guy in the white car with the wing on back.
 #917024  by doublebell

At one time there was an active yard there. Tracks ran all through the GE facility, even out to a siding parallel to Western Avenue. You can see some of the traces of rails by looking closely at the Google image.

John, the guy in the white car with the wing on back
 #917267  by GE506

trainsinmaine wrote:'Scuse me for being out of the loop --- does GE still have a locomotive facility in Scotia, or is everything done in Grove City?
GE builds locos in Erie, Pa. Grove City, PA is where the engines are manufactured
 #917469  by b&m 1566

Hopefully this isn’t a bargaining chip GE is pulling. Massachusetts would benefit greatly from this, (job growth) along with southern New Hampshire (due to the fairly close proximity of the proposed site).
 #917574  by Allen Hazen

A fair number of EMD units (even for U.S. railroads, thankts to NAFTA) have been assembled in Mexico, and Mexican railroad shops have assembled GE locomotives from kits. So my guess is that GE management has a fairly good idea of the economic pros and cons of building in Mexico. If they are seriously considering Massachusetts instead... I think that if I were the Commerce Secretary (or whatever they would call it: Minister for Industry?) in the Mexican cabinet, I would be VERY embarrassed by this news story!
---
And I know the Boston, Revere Beach and Lynn was abandoned over half a century ago, but I can't keep myself from imagining narrow-gauge export GE diesels (with 764 traction motors, no less) being shipped out of Lynn by rail!
 #917644  by MEC407

GoErie.com has an article today about the possible move, along with more details from GE, and reaction from employees and folks in the Erie business community:
GoErie.com wrote:"When a customer comes to us and asks for a quick turnaround, or there is a spike in production that you can't meet quickly in Erie, you have a choice: to respond quickly or not participate in that growth," said Stephan Koller, a spokesman for the company.

GE Transportation believes an alternate manufacturing site -- the company is looking at more than one site -- might address the problem.
Roger Zaczyk, interim president of Local 506 of the United Electrical Radio & Machine Workers, said he's not sure why local workers can't pick up that slack.

As recently as 2007, the local plant built 911 locomotives in a year. In 2010, with demand low, it built 370.

"We were able to do 1,000," Zaczyk said. "Now they're saying we need this for overflow, and we don't expect to do more than 500 here. What changed?"
Read more at: http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art ... /304019877
 #917666  by RickRackstop

The whole thing stinks. They don't call Massachusetts, Taxachusetts for nothing. GE has been getting a lot of government hand outs lately. It would make more sense to locate in a right to work state without income taxes.
 #917672  by MEC407

The "Taxachusetts" nickname may be deserved, but Massachusetts has been seeing a lot of new development and new businesses coming in, while some states that have much lower taxes haven't seen nearly as much new development or new businesses. Taxes aren't the only thing a business looks at when choosing to locate somewhere. If that was the case, businesses would be moving to New Hampshire in droves.

And since GE didn't pay any U.S. taxes last year, my guess is that they're not too worried about it. The fact that they already own the Lynn facility "free and clear" might make it a better bet than going somewhere with lower taxes and having to purchase land and buildings.
 #917776  by b&m 1566

What’s the address for this facility, so I can find it on a map? Or maybe drive to it.