Railroad Forums 

• Dash8-40 Height

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#914258  by 161pw165

Does anyone know the max height above the rails of the Dash8-40B, both standard and wide cab? Thanks in advance....
 #914280  by MEC407

I found some measurements at http://www.thedieselshop.us/DataB40-8.HTML but I don't know how accurate they are.
 #914349  by Allen Hazen

There are scale drawings in the model railroad magazines...

B39-8 (original version with curved cab roof), "Model Railroader," February 1987: height over cab roof, 14'7", but the air conditioner projects above this. The cab roof is lower, on this design, than parts of the long hood: the "Auxiliary Cab" (dynamic brakes etc) immediately behind the control cab looks about as high as the top of the exhaust stack and the central ridge of the radiator housing, whicch are 14'11". (Deck-- walkway-- is 5'10".)

B40-8 ("Spartan" cab), Railroad Model Craftsman," January 1994 and "Model Railroader," April 1989. RMC gives the height overr the cab roof as 14'11.5"; the height at the rear (exhaust stack, central ridge of radiator) looks virtually identical. MR gives the height over the rear structures as 15'0". (RMC gives deck height as 5'11".)

I don't have drawings for the B40-8W, but "Railroad Model Craftsman," July 1993, has drawings of the Amtrak B32-8WH, which has a very similar carbody and cab. Height over cab roof is shown as 15',9.5625", height over rear end strructure 14',11.4375". (Deck 5',10.0625".)

The roof of the operating cab seems to be flush with that of the dynamic brake compartment immediately behind it on the narrow-nose B40-8, but a few inches above it on the B32-8WH and, I would assume, on the B40-8W.

(I doubt much faith should be put in heights measured to the sixteenth of an inch-- the RMC drawings give them with fractional inches which I have converted to decimals for ease in typing. Surely spring compression depending on how full the fuel tank is can be that much!)
 #914362  by Allen Hazen

Railroad photographers don't seem to specialize in angles that will show this clearly, but looking at some of the ATSF 500 photos at
http://rr-fallenflags.org/atsf/atsf-00.html
I found a few that confirm that the cab roof on a B40-8W is a bit higher than the roof over the dynamic brake compartment: consistent with it being the same as shown on the B32-8WH drawings.