Railroad Forums 

• 45 ton siderod Gearbox diagram

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#908733  by Railman1396

I'm currently returning a 1947 45 tonner to operation at the South Carolina Railroad Museum. The engine was rebuilt by the Navy Ship Yard in Charleston, SC prior to it being given to the museum. The number 2 gearbox has a problem- the traction motor turns fine- the high speed pinion and the high speed bull gear both turn fine- the low speed pinion does not turn, which of course doesn't turn the wheels. I've pulled the low speed pinion bearing cap, and had a look inside. The low speed pinion has moved 3/4in towards the bearing. There is a gap between the low speed pinion and the high speed bull gear.

the issue I'm having, is I don't know how the power is transmitted between the gears- where they bolted together? Keyways on the shaft? Heat pressed? I found a manual online for a 23/25 tonner, which also used the same GE 733 motor and double reduction gearbox. But it doesn't have a good diagram of how the gearbox is really put together, more like a layout.

Anyone else have any better manuals, or one in pieces they can take pics of, or someone with experiance with them?

The engine is currently up in the air with the truck removed- so I've kind of got a time crunch.

Thanks.
 #909344  by GEVO

If you are refering to this document TM-55-1268, look at the info on page 29, Section 101. It explains how the low speed pinion is mounted onto the shaft.
 #912657  by Railman1396

I got the gearbox somewhat apart. The high speed bullgear is turning on the shaft- the heat press has failed. the only option now is to get another shaft and gear, or press off one end bearing, cut keyways into the shaft and gear, and reinstall.