Railroad Forums 

• C39-8 converted to run on gas

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#1277547  by MEC407

Looks like the LNG-powered Dash 8 is still running, and still behaving like a classic GE. :wink: Photo by Jean-Marc Frybourg:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=486172" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1343300  by Benny

During an informal chat two weeks ago a railroad warden (yes, here there are warden on trains and in rairoad áreas) told me that the gas experience has been held for the moment. I´ve seen few days ago loco 1012 in the Callao stretch (the lowest part of the line) without the gas tender but I don´t know if this one was used only in the mountaneous área or all line long.
The fuel used was Compressed Natural Gas and the scope of the trial was not only fuel savings but also better ignition because of the high altitude fault of oxigen.
Hope these little news can interest.

Ciao :wink:
 #1343314  by MEC407

Thank you for the information, Benny, and welcome to railroad.net!
 #1411242  by Benny

Some days ago the driver of 1012 told me that the CNG experiment ceased because there were not real benefits.

Ciao :wink: