• Unbuilt locomotive, unusual motors

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

by Allen Hazen

Some time back I was interested in compiling a list of the different traction motor types GE had used over the years on its locomotives: I don't remember a 750. The Milwaukee Road abandoned its 3kv DC electrification (and, indeed, its line to the Pacific) in the late(?) 1970s. But...
While searching for something else I came across this:
http://milwaukeeroadarchives.com/Electr ... 110069.pdf

It's a 12 page typescript giving specifications for a 5400 hp CC electric locomotive that GE proposed for the CMStP&P in 1969. No pictures, so I don't know what it would have looked like (this was a bit before GE built the box-cab E60 electric for the BM&LP, and its then most recent heavy electrics were hood type E44). It would have had floating bolster trucks, but perhaps not identical to those used on diesels: the wheels were to be 48" in diameter.

AND-- the traction motors were to be model 750: a series-wound 1500 volt motor insulated for 3000 volts. (The locomotive would have had two steps of transition-- from full series at low speeds to 3-3 series-parallel to 2-2-2 series parallel at high speeds, so 1500 volts was the most a motor would have experienced other than transiently when operating from a 3kv overhead.)
  by mtuandrew

The specifications do say that it would be a "full width equipment cab" (p. 4) and note that there would be an internal aisle to access mechanical parts, so I suspect it would have looked somewhat close to the single-cab E60s. The intriguing part for me is that it says the "Locomotive Outline" is #41R961146, which should correspond to something in GE's files - maybe there is a picture of this concept somewhere.
  by Allen Hazen

Thanks, MTU Andrew! You obviously read it more carefully than I did! With the bigger wheels, it obviously wouldn't have looked EXACTLY like a single-cab E60C (and with 3kv instead of 50kv in the overhead wires probably wouldn't have had quite such prominent insulators on the roof), but that sounds like a plausible hypothesis about approximate appearance. (Plausible enough, maybe, for a model railroader to paint an HO E60C in CMStP&P colors!)