Railroad Forums 

• Aussie GE units...

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#64900  by Komachi

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if the newer GE units (like the AC44-CW, AC6000, etc.) sent to Austrailia's Iron ore mining railroads have any major differences from their North American counterparts (i.e. control stands, air filtration systems, air conditioning, etc.), or are they essentially the same? Just currious.

#65017  by Allen Hazen

One obvious, though minor, external difference is two-rail side railings beside the long hood. I assume this means that the safety standards are stricter than those in the U.S. on this point.

#65531  by shortlinerailroader

I read in Diesel Era around 4 years ago that BHP and Hammersly Iron units have refrigerators, microwaves and CD chamgers.
 #132616  by cxu

The Aussie GE are somewhat heavier being about 200 metric tons. Also there is a different cab window as well as interier cab arrangement.

#132918  by Espeelark

The Aussie GE units have more creature comforts in the cab for the crew given their long, mostly boaring run from the mine through the hot Australian outback.....
 #133006  by Bryanjones

Komachi wrote:Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if the newer GE units (like the AC44-CW, AC6000, etc.) sent to Austrailia's Iron ore mining railroads have any major differences from their North American counterparts (i.e. control stands, air filtration systems, air conditioning, etc.), or are they essentially the same? Just currious.

Well the 8 unit fleet of BHP Iron Ore AC6000CW's differ from CSX and UP units in that they have special close clearance carbodies to allow for operation through ore loaders. This includes cabsides which have the upper portion slanted inward, slightly shorter height carbody, shorter exhaust stacks and radiator section with the edges trimmed down as much as possible. Another feature that sets them apart from their CSX and UP counterparts are the unique Generation II steerable trucks that the BHP units have. These were originally tested briefly on CSX AC6000CW #600 and were intended to improve tractive effort over the Generation I steerable trucks as found on the CSX AC6000CW fleet. The BHP AC6000CW's are the only locomotives to have the Generation II trucks.
Features found on other units would be higher capacity air conditioning. Double layer cab roofs were also used in the past though I don't believe that this practice was carried out on newer units.
The September/October 1996 issue of Diesel Era magazine has an article on Austrailian GE DASH 8's and DASH 9's, has some very nice info and photos of the various units.

Bryan Jones

#312409  by Pilbara Rail

Although I've come into this one a bit late............

The Pilbara Rail -9 units have an extra air intake on each side of the hood located towards the cab.
A blue strobe light on the angled part of the cab roof (both sides) which flash when the driver is out on the ground, so passing road gangs / crews know he's on the ground. We all operate Driver Only here.
The Pilbara Rail units also have a 'high point' for refuelling. Like an extended piece of piping off the fuel inlet.
Pilbara Rail is still getting -9 DC units. Although EVO's are coming in late 2007.

Here's a link to a Pilbara Rail -9 roof shot showing the extra intake, blue strobes and high rise fuel filler.
http://www.railways.pilbara.net.au/stuf ... 125426.jpg

The BHP AC6000's also have a conventional control stand and windscreen protecting fold-down blinds for when working as mid-train remotes.

Neither the PR -9 or BHP AC6000 locos have the double skin roof like the ALCOs and -7 and -8 unit had. But the BHP SD70ACe units do.

#313717  by Steve F45

dont the aussi ones have dual class lights onthe nose?

#313821  by Pilbara Rail

Sorry, I'd forgotten about that!

Yes all BHP AC6000 units have dual class lights, front and rear, including ploughs front and rear.
BHP Dash 8 units also have dual class lights.

The BHP SD70ACe-LC have dual class lights, among other things.

The Pilbara Rail Dash 8 (ex Robe River) and 9 units only have single class lights on each end.

http://www.railways.pilbara.net.au/
or
http://pilbararailways.fotopic.net/

#313831  by Steve F45

what do the clear class lights do?

#313840  by Pilbara Rail

In Australia we call class lights - 'marker' lights.

BHP has them turned on just about all the time.
The driver can set red or white to either end but unless it's a light engine movement, 90 percent of the time it will be white all around.

Pilbara Rail have their red ones turned on for the rear unit in a consist, and on occasion you'll see a unit leading with the red markers on!

#313863  by es80ac

Just curious, seems like Australia is a GE stronghold, why did BHP turn to SD70ace? Anything wrong with the AC6000CW order? Thanks

#313999  by Pilbara Rail

The reason to go EMD after Alco/GE was a 'political' move.

BHP had lots of drama with the AC6000 when first delivered, same as the rest of the AC6000's at the time, turbo, engine vibration, crankcase pressure and low oil pressure etc. But overall these units have turned out to be very good. And all are running at their rated 6000hp.

#315327  by GEVO

Pilbara Rail wrote:The reason to go EMD after Alco/GE was a 'political' move.
I disagree with that reasoning. While there was a lot of drama as you mentioned concerning the AC6000, that is not the reason for them buying some EMDs. Since that time, Pilbara has purchased many Dash 9s and they are running extremely well. So well in fact, the newer Fortescue MG from the same area has also purchased some units based on Pilbara's good experience. The real reason for some EMDs being purchased is that during that time, the Erie plant was pretty much sold out and they needed power now. So they opted to go with some new EMDs. Unfortunately, several others did the same and are finding the reliability is not there and that their deliveries are several months late. Not good for EMD. We need a strong EMD to keep GE on it's toes and that doesn't appear likely to happen until someone like CAT buys them out.

On another related note, there will be some of the new GEVO's as well as more Dash 9s headed down under in the next year.