Railroad Forums 

• AC6000s

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#58792  by ashley2771

Is UP the only railroad still running the AC6000s at 6000 hp? I know CSX downgraded to 4400 hp engines. Aren't there some Austrailian roads using the AC6000?

#58942  by Justin B

I think that CSX has some AC6000s still rated at full power. Not sure tho, perhaps someone knows more than I do.

Never heard of any export AC6000s.... are you sure they are not AC4400s?
Last edited by Justin B on Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#58951  by Joe

I think all the 600-series CSX AC6000s are still at 6000HP, and it is true that there are some AC6000s in Australia, although they look a bit different (more lights on the front and 5-sided windows). I found some info on GE's website. https://www.getransportation.com/genera ... SESSION=NO You can click on the pics for larger versions.

Hope that helps! :-D

#58955  by crazy_nip

the CSX AC6000's which were downrated (all but 4 or 5) are now in the process of being re-rated at 6000 hp

I guess they fixed the problem, or came up with a settlement...

#59088  by Kevin B.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasen't the "derating" process to change the HP on the CSX units nothing more than a change in the engine-control computer software?

#59217  by ATK

Yes, a software change was all that was needed to derate the horsepower of the AC6000 fleet.

#88263  by MEC407

According to recent discussions on the Loconotes discussion list, most of the bugs with the HDL have been worked out and the units are all back at their optimal horsepower rating (with the exception of one CSX unit which had its HDL replaced with an FDL).

#88374  by AMTK84

First, CSX has there 5000-cearies units as CW60AC's; however, starting at 5100, we have CW44AC's.

Second, if all it took was a software change to derate the CW60AC's, then why did it take so long to fix the problem?

Third, what was the engine that had its HDL replaced with an FDL?

Very great discussion we got going on hear.

#88530  by crazy_nip

MP36 416 wrote:Third, what was the engine that had its HDL replaced with an FDL?

#88807  by ATK

MP36 416 wrote:Second, if all it took was a software change to derate the CW60AC's, then why did it take so long to fix the problem?
Because the problems were not electrical in nature (or fixed by software), they were mechanical in nature. And we're not talking small minor problems here, we're talking several major problems with the HDL engine. The change in software to derate the HDL's was only a containment solution to keep the engines from destroying themselves.

BTW, the 699 was the one they ran off the end of the test track. Can you say "diversity in motion"??? :-)

#89633  by FDL4ever

ATK wrote: The change in software to derate the HDL's was only a containment solution to keep the engines from destroying themselves.
Understood that. But if the software is now being put back to where it allows the engine to develop the full 6000 HP, obviously its only being changed AFTER each locomotive has had some mechanical improvements made. Did this consist of swapping in a new HDL, or was it done by installing specific improved parts at maintenance time?

#89666  by Jay Potter

The improvements consisted of modifications, not replacement HDLs; however there were 19 units that were never derated; and the reason those were not derated is that they had previously received replacement HDLs.