Railroad Forums 

• Locomotive air dryers

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#756473  by D.Carleton

With the air problems Amtrak has been having getting across the Northern Plains the question has arisen concerning air dryers. What type of air dryers are installed in Amtrak's P42 fleet? Is there one type or brand of dryer common to Amtrak or any specific railroad? Thank you in advance.
 #756545  by DutchRailnut

I believe they are Salem twin tower dryers, with lack of maintenance it could be someone is not changing cardridges in them.
 #759654  by CN Sparky

The newer locomotives on CN's roster are running the Graham White 994 model air dryers. And I've seen a few older units that have been retrofitted with them as well...
 #760848  by DutchRailnut

nice piece of triva but it has nothing to do with topic at hand.
which is locomotive air dryers.
 #761487  by EDM5970

Thrust? We're talking about locomotives here, and someone brings in jet engines. Oh, wait... never mind...I forgot... this is the GE forum, and they make jet engines too.

(The correct term is tractive effort-)