Railroad Forums 

• EPA on GEVO noise

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#410723  by dash7

hello yet again!, does the US epa impose tight restrictions on exhaust noise or dynamic brake noise on class 1's or short line's as they do down here in Australia?,as for years now they have fitted all new and rebuilds with oversized mufflers and dumbo style noise baffles not unlike those fitted to the early pre tunnel motor SD's on the espee? interestingly they have not cracked down on emissions! (to me the latter would be more important,you would think anyway!)the one thing i can testify to is that they can't seem to silence the surplus c30-7A 7fdl's we recieved in our CFCLA CM30-7Mmi loco's! (rebuilt Goodwin/ALCo boxcabs) (CHUG-CHUG) thanks :-D dash7

#434075  by MEC407

GE began using large(r) exhaust silencers in the U.S. during late Dash 7 production. You can differentiate a newer Dash 7 from an older Dash 7 because the exhaust stacks on the newer ones look larger and fatter. I'm not sure whether this was an EPA or FRA rule.
 #434182  by alasgw

The EPA does not regulate cab or exhaust noise.

#434229  by CN_Hogger

I wish they would, it really stinks having to listen to the dynamic fans screaming away with the windows open...

#434255  by DutchRailnut

I thought they gave those things AC and Heat so the windows can be kept closed as part of hearing protection ???

#434305  by MEC407

That's what ear plugs are for. :wink: (Yeah, I know they're annoying, but going deaf is worse, right?)

#434376  by CN_Hogger

DutchRailnut wrote:I thought they gave those things AC and Heat so the windows can be kept closed as part of hearing protection ???

Well, I was refering to CN SD70/75I's and C44's, no AC and they're very insulated for up north. Great in the winter but they're murder in the summertime down here, not to mention the SD50/60F's and C408M's.

I do wear ear plugs MEC, but I can only stand them for so long.

#434595  by dash7

thanks cnhogger,i wear ear plugs in the cool room and i hate them too!,maybe the suits in the epa and local government have nothing better to do with their time! but whine about locomotive noise! anyhooow what can you do? :-D dash7

#434630  by DutchRailnut

I wear a cheap pair of John Deer noise canceling headphones.
They work great and without the noise pressure I get home a lot less agitated than before.

#434769  by CN_Hogger

DutchRailnut wrote:I wear a cheap pair of John Deer noise canceling headphones.
They work great and without the noise pressure I get home a lot less agitated than before.
Dutch, what do you run usually F40 types or P42's? I know the F40's are blast boxes...

#434919  by Nasadowsk

40CFR201 is the current EPA regulations. Given how old they are, expect an update in the future. California might impose a more restrictive set of regulations, too.

The next round of emissions regulations are supposedly coming, too, and those will almost certainly require aftertreatment, and ULSD. About time, really. The EPA realized this after a few statistical analysises concluded that by 2030, trucks would not only pollute less than trains overall, they'd do it while moving more. Thus, the EPA took another look at rail emissions, which the states want anyway, since it's about the only major source not tightly regulated anymore...

#434931  by DutchRailnut

CN_Hogger wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:I wear a cheap pair of John Deer noise canceling headphones.
Dutch, what do you run usually F40 types or P42's? I know the F40's are blast boxes...
FL-9m's - P32acdm or P42's

#435093  by CN_Hogger

How loud are the FL9's?

#435110  by DutchRailnut

very loud, second generation diesel, barely any sound insulation, no luxury anywhere.

#435117  by pablo

Nasadowsk, where did you see that study that by 2030 trucks will carry more? I easily believe the emissions part...but more freight too?

Dave Becker