Railroad Forums 

• BNSF GE Units 6008-6009

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#273557  by Gilbert B Norman

Today I observed two apparently brand new GE units 6008-6009 with their "Flash Gordon' lettering at Chicago Sub MP 18.9. They were hauling an EB coal "drag" and that MP is close to the "summit' between Chicago and Aurora. They were over the summit, but the train was hardly so.

Obviously they are not as they are still under builder's warranty, but they sounded "like sick puppies" to me. To use a musician's term, the exhaust sounded "syncopated",

This past Saturday, I observed another like unit hauling an EB container train through Lee, IL. That is on a slight descending grade.

So hopefully someone here has the requisite expertise to address this inquiry.

#273662  by GOLDEN-ARM

While not a "musician", nor an expert, I have mentioned, in another thread here, about the "off-key" exhaust note, that from inside the cab, reminds one of an old Indian Chief, putting through the countryside. I will imagine the engine tuning, and exhaust system, in order to comply with the Tier level assigned to that unit have a lot to do with it. The ES44-AC, and ES-44DC seem to suffer the same malady, as far as that exhuast note goes. From the cab, the sound is almost embarassing............... :(

#273690  by MEC407

The backwards, sour-noted Nathan air horns they come with aren't that pleasant either, to put it nicely. A Leslie RS5T would be a vast improvement.