Railroad Forums 

• Favorite GE engine?

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#703  by TAMR213

Was just wondering what everyones favorite GE engine was (since we all know that GE's are so much cooler then EMD's, in the 60's-80's anyway). Mine would have to deffinatly be the C30-7. Just love the imposeing lines and looks of it, it implies power.

#708  by mainecentral

:D I like U-boats and 44 Tonners, because thats what the MEC used, and living in Maine , well, you get the rest :D

#960  by Lehigh Valley Railroad

44 Tonners.

And I have been fond of 33C's..... Cabs whistle too much in the higher notches.

#1053  by MEC407

U18B, of course.
Last edited by MEC407 on Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#1648  by rdganthracite

My favorite is the E2B but I also have a fondness for the E44s and E40s

#1821  by trainfreak

Im for a B40-8 or C40-8. Theres something about the boxy appearance that just looks cool to me. Plus my favorite railroad (NYSW) used to roster 4 of them in the beautiful yellow jacket livery.

#1845  by SeldenJrFireman

AMD103,DE30AC-DM30AC.

The DE/DM I think are GE power plants and chassis (similar to the P40/42) with a SSI body.

#1916  by Justin B

The DE30AC-DM30AC are EMD units.....

#2202  by SeldenJrFireman

Thanks Justin, I heard that they were either EMD or GE. Thanks for the clarification.

#2329  by gp40marc69

My favorites:

P32-8BWH (Dash 8)
I love the sound of this loc.
P32AC-DM
Seen some pictures of them. Do you wonder why you always see them in New York and Connecticut.
P40DC
I love the FDL engine. Sounds great. Driven this loc. on MSTS.
P42DC
same as the P40. Love to see these on the Silver Star and the Palmetto.

#2337  by XRails

To each his own, I guess, but I'll take an F-40 any day. I perfer to call Genesis units (bad joke alert) "Revealations".

#2343  by trainfreak

I think the reason you always see the P32AC-DM's in Conn. and NY because they have 3rd rail capabilities and since there is mostly electric passenger service there thats why yo see them mostly there. Im not that sure though but i think this is why.
 #2368  by shortlinerailroader

C40-9...4000 hp...Dash 9 technology in (not so) spartan cab...looks great in black.

#2388  by XRails

I think the reason you always see the P32AC-DM's in Conn. and NY because they have 3rd rail capabilities and since there is mostly electric passenger service there thats why yo see them mostly there.
Well, any train that operates beyond the electrified tracks need either P32AC-DMs or FL-9s to get in and out of GCT, or Penn Station in the case of Amtrak Empire Service trains. ConnDOT SLE trains can get away with using GP-40s because they only operate between New Haven and New London. Dual mode locos can only operate off 3rd rail, not caternary. The only 3rd rail zones in the northeast are on the approaches to GCT and Penn and on some Metro North lines north of the city.

GE

#2544  by MR77100

I'm not really a fan of GE, but I guess I could pick the U23B as my favorite.