Railroad Forums 

• Brazilian metre gauge C30-7 question

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#227058  by PortoAmboim

Since 2003, Brazilian railroad ALL (America Latina Logistica) has converted at least 67 standard gauge C30-7 locomotives of Santa Fe and Burlington Northern heritage to metre gauge. The gauge conversion work appears to have been done in ALL's shop in Curitiba.

I was recently sent a general arrangement diagram and specification for one of these locos which showed the gross mass as 162,000 kilograms, which (if I made the conversion correctly) is 357,149 pounds.

I was particularly interested to see the ALL C30-7s now have EMD D31 traction motors rather than a GE product.

I would have thought that the C30-7 locos, as built, would have weighed around 400,000 pounds. How could more than 20,000 pounds been taken off them?

#227890  by Realityrail

There are two ways to reduce weight on older GE power. First, open up the frame and take out the "brickets" which are simply weights added. The second way is to modify the fuel tanks. The rule of thumb is that one gallon of fuel capacity adds ten pounds of weight (includes the weight of the steel and the diesel fuel). So take a 3,000 gallon fuel tank and make it a 1,000 gallon fuel tank, and you get 2,000 X 10=20,000.

#228318  by PortoAmboim

Thanks for your answer. That makes a lot of sense. The diagram shows the fuel tank on these re-gauged C30-7s as holding 10,000 litres (which is 2,200 gallons). Any idea how much they would have held as operated by Santa Fe and BN?

#228329  by 2spot

Add the former BC Rail Dash Sevens. All have been sold through Progress Rail for a mining outfit in Brazil. Probably this one.