Railroad Forums 

• P32BWH

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#191726  by NJRail4129

Anyone out there know if there are other lines besides Amtrak that use the -8's for passenger service?
Is their HEP a inverter or a seperate plant? Also what about their acceleration, good passenger locos? Unfortunatly I'll never see one here in Jersey.

Matt
 #191727  by DutchRailnut

Only Amtrak and state of California have P8-32bwh's they were built in 1991 as Amtrak 500 thru 519, 501 and 502 became CallDOT 2051-2052 They were built as a stop gap measure when Amtrak was short power and the Genesis was still in development.
At 3200 hp they are good for short to medium size trains, the HEP is tapped off the main alternator, the engine runs at 900 rpm when in hEP mode.

#191747  by NJRail4129

Thanks Dutch...
So the prime mover is at a constant 900? It's almost like a next generation U34. Im assuming GE no longer builds new units, favoring the Genesis. How do you feel about the Genesis Dutch, or anyone else who operates them? I wonder if NJ Transit gave that model any consideration before going to Altsom. I'm not an engineer so I have no clue, but I have heard EMD engines are better for commuter service because the RPM can increase much faster then a 4-cycle GE. Any comments?

#191748  by DutchRailnut

My views on Genesis and PL42ac are pretty much discussed on MNCR and NJT board, I won't repeat the info here. but the P32acdm does very well in commuter service

#192351  by MEC407

GE's latest passenger locomotives -- basically from the P32-8BWH on up to the P42DC -- were really designed more for corridor and long-distance service than for the constant start-and-stop of commuter service. That doesn't mean they can't perform well in commuter service, but it's not exactly their forte.

As the new EPA environmental regulations come into play, I think you will find that EMD locomotives won't accelerate that much faster than GE locomotives. In fact, I've heard that GE's latest freight locos with the new GEVO engine actually load/accelerate a bit faster than EMD's newest units, which still use the venerable 2-cycle design, albeit with substantial modifications to meet environmental regulations.

#192373  by timz

Maybe the F59PHIs are sluggish accelerators because they don't load as fast, to reduce smoke. But Caltrain's MP36s are newer, and they smoke at least as much as the F40s when accelerating; apparently reduced-smoke-by-slow-loading wasn't specified by Caltrain?

#192394  by MEC407

The MP36 has a 16-645F rather than a 12-710G (as used on the F59); I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but it's worth mentioning.

#192613  by NJRail4129

Thanks for the reply's guys.
About the Caltrain MP36, I remember reading somewhere that since the units were built and delivered before the Tier II emissions regulations were mandated, they just had to comply with the Tier I. I'm not sure about Metra's units, I think they might be newer. MEC407, thats a good point that EMD's may not be so much faster with the new regulations. Im waiting to see how the PL42AC's accelerate, I'm not sure whether it has the 710 or the 645.

#192615  by MEC407

I'm pretty sure the PL42AC has a 16-710G, which would make it more powerful (and theoretically faster accelerating) than the F59PHI and the MP36.

#201582  by Tadman

Over at Metra the MP's do NOT smoke like the F40's. The older batches of F40's here can make an RS11 proud some days. The MP's just 'splode. Or so I hear, I have no bias against them - I actually like them because they are easier to photograph (don't ask me why, the pics just turn out better)

#203658  by metra 613

Well i see alot of mps smoke more then a f40 here in chicago

#438545  by ZephyrHogHead

The P32ACDM has the 12 cylinder engine. I am not familiar with there being a PL42ACDM???

The P32ACDM is essentially a p32-8.

#438577  by DutchRailnut

ZephyrHogHead wrote:The P32ACDM has the 12 cylinder engine. I am not familiar with there being a PL42ACDM???

The P32ACDM is essentially a p32-8.
There is the NJT/alstom PL42ac but no DM its powered by the EMD 710/12
and GE has a P42ACDM on books but with 12 Cyl GEVO engine.

No not at, all comparing the AC powered and all inverter drive of a P32acdm to the DC variant of the P32-8 is like apoples and oranges.
yes the both have the FDL12 as prime mover, that and the headlight bulb and comparison stops.
The P32-8 has conventional airbrakes.
The P32ACDM has EPIC brakes.

#438660  by Jtgshu

DutchRailnut wrote: There is the NJT/alstom PL42ac but no DM its powered by the EMD 710/12
NJT's PL42AC has an EMD 710/V16 - not a V12.

#438902  by DutchRailnut

sorry thanks for correction.