Railroad Forums 

• U25B Survivors

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#190959  by GN 599

Keep looking aroundon this site, funny you should mention them because I recently read something on their current status and I think it was on this site. I know they are in Oakland and the switch to the track they are stored on has been removed. Someone else around here probably knows more about them than me.

#339957  by u25b

Sorry to bring up an old topic,but does anyone know the otcome of the meeting in Albany and the fate of this exceptional collection?

Wes

#339960  by scottychaos

u25b wrote:Sorry to bring up an old topic,but does anyone know the otcome of the meeting in Albany and the fate of this exceptional collection?

Wes
I dont know anything about the meeting, but I do know all the Albany units are still just sitting there, still slowly becoming one with the earth..
here are some recent pics, (no pics of the U-boat though..but im sure nothing has moved or been otherwise disturbed recently..the locos cant get out of there by rail anymore.)

http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=14020

Scot

#345411  by GN 599

I wish I could be a part of a organization that has (or maybe soon to be had) stuff like that. I am just sittin on the Brakemans board collecting gaurantee, wouldnt take much for someone to look after that stuff and keep the brush clear. What a shame. None of my business anyway I guess...

#345435  by Alcoman

One thing that is a sure bet; you would not want to be part of the group thats owns this equipment. They refuse to do anything that would be practical.
Some examples:
1) The RS-3 to the Adirondack Scenic-This was suggested to them 15 years ago.
2) The U25B (whos engine is frozen with rust) to the D-L as they could use the Generator and than offer the carbody to some group for a stuff-n-mount.
3) The 2 electrics to a museum. The latest is that these may go to NYC to the transit museum(underground)

#346595  by GN 599

Geez thats too bad. Only time will tell...

#379424  by ATK

She looks even worse than when I last saw her. Before they moved her outside the fence of the power plant, she at least still had her windows in her. Wherever sits old railroad equipment in an unsecure area, don't worry, the vermin will find them!

#380069  by Petz

Grounding on comments in a Pentrex video the Portola SP unit isn´t a U25B anymore cause SP changed out the original control stand to an AAR type and upgraded the unit to U28B standards.

#381176  by uhaul

Does CR 2510 still have its engine?
When was it built?

#381286  by traingeek8223

CR 2510 does still have it's engine. The chapter got it running around 1997 or so. However, since that time the stack was left uncapped and it is now frozen.

#382280  by ATK

I assure you, its been much longer than 1997 since the diesel engine last ran in the 2510. When I last saw her in the summer of 2000, she had numerous parts removed from her. I wouldn't exactly say that the engine is frozen as much as it would not bar over when we attempted that.

#396977  by GN 599

If I was a bettin man I would bet she gets scrapped. :(