Railroad Forums 

• Any true 6000hp AC6000CW locomotives left?

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#1440165  by es80ac

Anyone knows if there is any true 6000hp AC6000CW locomotives left on the US domestic railroads? I heard all UP AC6000CW have been derated/reengined to 4400HP. What abou the CSX fleet of AC6000CWs? It would be a shame if there is no true AC6000CW left other than perhaps the GE demonstrators.
 #1440240  by MEC407

I believe that's true of the UP ones; not sure about the current status of the CSX ones. I'm certain I read somewhere that they received new 16-cylinder GEVO engines a while back. If that happened, I don't quite understand why you'd then derate it to 4400 HP... but then again CSX also derated their Dash 8-40Bs to 2000 HP, so who knows...
 #1440395  by es80ac

I heard the CSX units were converted to GEVO as well, but I also noticed on Wikipedia it stated these units are rated at 4400 hp now. If the CSX units are no longer 6000 hp rated, then this would mean there is no more 6000 hp operating on American railroads at all with the EMD SD90 all gone as well.
 #1441537  by v8interceptor

es80ac wrote:I heard the CSX units were converted to GEVO as well, but I also noticed on Wikipedia it stated these units are rated at 4400 hp now. If the CSX units are no longer 6000 hp rated, then this would mean there is no more 6000 hp operating on American railroads at all with the EMD SD90 all gone as well.
The AC6000CWs were rebuilt with 16 cylinder GEVO engines a while back but they were then derated to 4400 hp in recent years.
They are classified by CSX as CW46ACs.
All but a handful of them are in storage.
 #1441564  by Allen Hazen

China and Brazil both have General Electric locomotives with GEVO-16 engines: model numbers are, I think, ES-59 and ES-58. Anybody have any word on how they are doing?
 #1441781  by es80ac

Allen Hazen wrote:China and Brazil both have General Electric locomotives with GEVO-16 engines: model numbers are, I think, ES-59 and ES-58. Anybody have any word on how they are doing?
The Chinese GEVOs are doing fine. The first HXN5 as they are classified had various issues, not with the GEVO engine but with various other components especially the running gear. That was not really GE's fault as the customization ordered by CNR is where the problem is. For example the trucks is really a cheap looking bolsterless design previously used by New Zealand export versions, which might be fine if HXN5 GEVO is not used in a heavy haul setting on CNR where a single engine is expected to handle up to 6000 plus tonnes regularly. There were many issues with the stress fractures in the trucks and worn flanges. There were also a host of other issues outside of the trucks.

A new version of the HXN5 called HXN52000 has been produced. It is a double ended hood design, similar in appearance to the new GE exports to India, but only taller and bigger. The trucks have been redesigned, and I heard many of the issues have been resolved. But I still think they should have used the original proven Hi-AD trucks.

On the same topic, the EMD 6000HP version is also seemingly doing much better on CNR than on the American railroads. Classified as HXN3, they are used primarily to haul coal trains in Inner Mongolia. For a while that operation used a single HXN3 to haul a loaded 113 car coal train weighing 10000 metric tonnes, which has to be almost a record for a single locomotive.
 #1441795  by MEC407

I assume CNR is much more heavily staffed than the typical American Class I railroad...? They can probably devote considerably more manpower to maintaining and troubleshooting their locomotives than our railroads are willing to.
 #1441821  by obsessed railfan

The HXN5 are increasingly used in certain areas that were formerly dominated by the ND5 (GE C36-7). Many ND5 have now been retired and scrapped, but quite a few still remain in service and some are also preserved in railway museums.
 #1442808  by es80ac

obsessed railfan wrote:The HXN5 are increasingly used in certain areas that were formerly dominated by the ND5 (GE C36-7). Many ND5 have now been retired and scrapped, but quite a few still remain in service and some are also preserved in railway museums.
fortunately I heard some ND5 (GE C36-7) in Nanjing will receive one more overhaul, hope they will be around for a few more years.