Railroad Forums 

• GE Dash 8 locomotive to be preserved in PA museum

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#1186093  by Allen Hazen

Well, I suppose 24 is a respectable age of retirement for a GE diesel on a Class 1 railroad, and I'm certainly glad that one will be preserved, but... somehow this hurts.
---Means ***I*** am getting old,
---This is the last batch of FDL-12 engined units on a U.S. freight Class 1, and I think the last 4-axle class in any number on a freight railroad: soon GE will be represented on U.S. main lines only by big, 4000+ hp, six-axle types
------
CP seems to have broken the ice for the other big North American locomotive builder, buying a large number of 2000 hp 4-axle units for secondary service. When is somebody going commit for a big enough order for GE to build the GEVO-6 engined roadswitcher we have been fantasizing about for years? (I'd be less mournful about the retirement of the B32-8 if I thought their frames and trucks were going to be used for something worthwhile!)
 #1200135  by MEC407

Brief blurb and photo of the 3563 at its new home: http://www.goerie.com/article/20130714/ ... retirement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;