Railroad Forums 

• Dash 9 cab types

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#93121  by USRailFan

I'd like some help in determining which types of cabs are used in various roads' Dash 9s.

C40-9 (spartan cab)
-NS: Old-style control stand with computer screens in stead of analogue instruments

C44-9W:
-BC Rail, CN: Old-style control stand, computer screen above windshield

-BNSF (ordered by ATSF), CNW, SP: Desktop controls with analogue instruments

-BNSF (ordered post-merger): Desktop controls with computer screens

-CSX (actually C44-8W): Unknown

-NS: Old-style control stand with computer screens in stead of analogue instruments

-UP: Unknown

-Export units: Unknown

AC4400CW:

-BNSF, CNW, CP, CSX, KCS, SP, UP: Desktop controls with computer screens (KCS have software in both English and Spanish)

-Export units: Probably same as domestic

#93625  by CN_Hogger

There are two types of cabs with the CN Dash 9's.... The first order of 23(if I remember right) have the Canadian four window cab and desktop controls with analog gauges.

Other orders have a CN specific cab similar to the 'stock' cab but with different angles on the nose to accomidate EMD style windshields. Also, there isn't a computer screen above the windshield unless you were refering to the slow speed control console.

#93708  by nickleinonen

CN_Hogger wrote:There are two types of cabs with the CN Dash 9's.... The first order of 23(if I remember right) have the Canadian four window cab and desktop controls with analog gauges.

Other orders have a CN specific cab similar to the 'stock' cab but with different angles on the nose to accomidate EMD style windshields. Also, there isn't a computer screen above the windshield unless you were refering to the slow speed control console.
i think the dash 9's on our units with the desktop go to 2526 [although i think i remember seeing a 2527 with the table top]

[start edit] i was talking to our inshop GE tech rep, and he said that the numbers for the tabletop ones go only to 2523, so i am wrong on that...[end edit]

we've also got the 2200's which are dash 9's and they have the 2 screens at about where the engineers side table is/was below the windows for the electric air brakes... no analog gauges except for load meter [and maybe air flow, but it's been a long time since i peeked in one of them cabs]
Last edited by nickleinonen on Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.