Railroad Forums 

• Unbuilt history: "P30BH" ??

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#1075594  by Allen Hazen

That other locomotive company's FP40-- a GP40 derivative with head-end power and a cowl carbody-- was for a number of years the STANDARD North American passenger diesel: GE didn't sell any North American passenger diesels between January 1976 (end of P30CH production) and December 1991 (beginning of Dash-8 32BWH run).

QUESTION: Did GE make a proposal to Amtrak (or some commuter agency) for a unit that would have been comparable to the FP40 (i.e. a four-motor passenger diesel derived from the U30B/B30-7 in about the way the FP40 was derived from the GP40)? I don't remember any news items from the time suggesting it, but...

---

Possible problem: Sensible people (among whom the current management of various commuter agencies don't seem to be numbered...) like passenger locomotives to be light-weight, light axle-loading, units: they go fast, and track damage from locomotive wheel "hammer blow" gets worse as speed increases. EMD clearly shaved ounces with the original FP40 design: it was lighter than a GP40-2 despite the cowl carbody and extra equipment. (Frame is a bit shorter, and fuel tank MUCH smaller.) GE might have had difficulty matching the weight, since GE's components are heavier (e.g. GE traction motors are heavier than EMD's, and an FDL-16 engine is heavier than a 16-645). When GE finally did build a 4-axle passenger unit of conventional road switcher design (Dash-8 32BWH) it had only a 12-cylinder engine: I think I remember seeing at the time that weight problems kept them from using a 16 cylinder, and the small production run of B32-8WH was just a stop-gap because Amtrak was desperate for power, and couldn't wait for the development of the Genesis (Genesis 1 introduced in March 1993), which was able to use a 16 cylinder engine because of a radical re-design (monocoque carbody, fuel tank integral to frame...) that reduced weight relative to what a a conventional design would have had. .... By 1980 GE had a 3000 hp version of the FDL-12 they were selling in freight locomotives, so a "P30CHA" would have been technically possible, but the buyers of passenger locomotives at that stage were probably hopelessly addicted to the EMD product.
 #1075698  by MEC407

You just gave me some new inspiration for the "someday when I have more money / more space / more time" proto-freelance model railroad I've been daydreaming about for the past several years. :wink:

The "P30BH" will nicely complement my "Super7-36CH" (U34CH rebuild) and my "Dash 9-23BW" (M420W rebuilt to Dash 9 specs with a new FDL-8).
 #1075826  by Allen Hazen

MEC 407--
I hope you (or someone with more time and money) does it! Starting, of course, with a B18-7. (And I've long wanted to see the six-axle booster unit, the UB45CXR.)
 #1076174  by Allen Hazen

There's one problem with models of unbuilt (but plausible) GE locomotives: given GE's modular approach to locomotive design, many of them might not look all that different from actual types. For instance, if the experimental uprating of a few L&N U23B to 2750hp had led to a production "U27B"... it might have looked virtually indistinguishable from a U23B!

I can think of a couple of serious proposals (in the U-boat era) which would have been distinctive, though:

--- the "U25BG" would have been a high-nose U25B with a steam generator in the short hood. GE did try to market this: there is artwork in the U25B manual at George Elwood's "Fallen Flags" rail image site. (From very early in U25B development: the pilot and end walkway arrangement is as in the first demonstrators, not the later production units.)

--- the U18C (no scare-quotes, since this was a designation used at the time, not one I have speculatively made up) was, according to a report in "Trains," considered by the Union Railroad as a replacement for their "Water Buffalo" EMD-re-engined Baldwin six-motor units. (In the end, alas, Union went for a competitor's product.) I don't know how far the discussion went, and I have never seen artwork.

--- The Santa Fe liked the idea of cowl units, and solicited bids from all three builders. The units actually built were EMD's F45, and there are drawings of Alco's cowled C636 variant in Steinbrenner's Alco book. GE proposed cowled U33C: they would probably have looked much like the U30CG, but without steam generator exhaust (and maybe with a slightly different central air intake, since the U30CG's seems to have been modified because of the s.g. installation). ... Santa Fe asked for bids on both A-units and B-units: Alco and EMD bid on both, but GE refused to consider the booster idea, and gave prices only for A-units. (Information here from an old "Model Railroad Craftsman" article accompanying drawings of the Alco proposal.)

--- And, of course, there are minor variants: different truck designs, for example. All U50C actually built were for Union Pacific and used drop equalizer trucks from traded-in GTEL, but GE at least pretended to hope that some other customers might be interested, and prepared artwork of a U50C with FB-3 trucks: a drawing of this variant was published in "Railway Age" when the U50C was announced. ... At the purely imaginary level, Penn Central had the largest fleets of U33B and of Alco C430: I think it is a pity that their motive power department never tried the experiment of trading trucks between the two, to see if the C430's adhesion would be adversely affected by "type B", or the U33B's improved by Hi-Ads. (Penn Central-- or maybe New York Central before the merger-- had staged hill-climbing tests with loaded hoppers comparing GP40, U30B, and an Alco C430 demonstrator... and hadn't thought the Hi-Ad trucks were all that helpful.)