Railroad Forums 

• feedwater heaters

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#459717  by MYLAYOUT

did all 3 pacifics that were the blue comet engines from '29-'41 have feed water heaters over the boilers up front? second, was there a time when CNJ coaches were cream and green? i've been modelling dl&w late '40s thru early 50s but now that i'm down the shore,CNJ seems like a better choice.

#459787  by Milepost 12

You should ask this question in the Scale Model Railroading part in the forum. You will have better luck.

#459860  by metman499

I wouldn't say that, it's a prototype question. Anyway, the Blue Comet engines were all the same class and shared the same appliances. Passenger equipment, other than for the Blue Comet, was green with gold lettering until NJDOT bought cars from out west in the 1970s. Image

#460258  by Steam man

The three engines that were designated for Blue Comet service were part of the CNJ's G-3s/P-47 class 4-6-2's built by BLW in 1928. There were 5 engines in this class numbered 831 thru 835. Only the 831,832 and 833 were painted in the Blue comet colors.

The specs on the engines were:
Drivers -79"
Weight on drivers- 326,000 lbs
Cylinders= (2) 26' x28"
Boiler pressure -230 psig
Tractive effort -46,841 lbs
Tender capacity - 10,000 gallons

All had 5 engines Elesco feedwater heaters, stokers, and mechanical lubricators.

The 834 was painted a dark green for a period for service on the Bullet.
The 835 was always black.

It was also common to find other locomotives at the head end of the Blue Comet as engine availablity dictated. This included any of the other Pacifics, Ten wheeler L7sa/T38 or L8/T40 Camelbacks and even the P-6s/A28 Atlantics, including the 592 which had honors on a couple occasions.

Here's a nice pic of the 831 at Jersey City ready for duty: