Railroad Forums 

• So what color were they? (Stations)

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#390468  by lvrr325

There a standard color scheme for Lehigh Valley wood freight and passenger stations? In B&W photos sometimes they look dark brown, but other (later?) photos show they appear to be a cream or tan color with dark trim - green, or brown perhaps. Specifically interested in Freeville, since I'm working on a model of it right now, but I'd be curious about others too. I may try and build some others as I find plans and photos.

#390560  by TB Diamond

Just pulled a slide that I took at Freeville in 1973. The station is a flat grey with black door frames, roof sills and braces and corner boards. By the late 1960s till the end of operations on 31 March 1976 all the wood depots that I can recall were painted a flat grey. Many had not been painted for years.

#390626  by lvrr325

That confirms what someone else told me on an e-mail list, a sort of primer grey. I wouldn't have been surprised if it was bare wood with a paint flake here or there. Good, makes painting it easy, I can spray bomb the walls.

'73 is not long before they knocked it down. What's amusing though is the one telephone pole up close to it, with the one set of arms facing a different direction - that was still there last April when I stopped and took a bunch of photos. As is the funny Y-shaped building by the road, and the water tank base. Hard to tell where the EC&N even was, otherwise.

Thanks -

#391009  by TB Diamond

The Freeville station was still standing as late as April, 1974 when I was there following LV local CS-2, but it was gone by May, 1976 when I was chasing CR OM-1 up to Moravia. Yes, not much that is familiar at the station site nowadays. Last fall I took a picture right where I had photographed the local back in the 1970s. Only the ends of some partially buried ties gave any indication that both scenes were shot at the same location.

Have some paint chips that I removed from the P&L Jct. section shed and from the Burdett depot at some time between E/1976 and M/1978. If you are interested email me your address and I'll sent you a sample.

You are welcome for the information. Am always glad to share what little I can recall.

#399793  by GRSJr

South Plainfield was primer gray as well. Bethlehem was brick. Sayre is brick.

#400011  by lvrr325

Err..

There a standard color scheme for Lehigh Valley wood freight and passenger stations?

#459955  by GRSJr

lvrr325 wrote:Err..
Are you just clearing your throat, or do you have something to say? :wink: :-D