Railroad Forums 

• CNJ and LV shared trackage

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#21001  by WNYRailfan

Did the LV share trackge rights with the CNJ?

I know the two roads crossed at Lehighton, but I do not know if they had shared trackage rights in the 1960's.

I know the LV gained access to the CNJ Allentown Yard in 1965. Was that shared trackage or was the CNJ purchased by other railroads?

WNYRailfan

#21106  by metman499

That was the shared trackage plan. In 1972 the CNJ pulled out of PA, except for the EL runthroughs to Scranton, for good, giving most of the track to the Valley with some of the former L&NE going to the Reading.

#21577  by Trackbolt

By the early 60's both the LV and CNJ were in deep financial trouble. The CNJ was in deeper trouble. In 1965 the two roads agreed to share trackage to reduce the maintenance costs of two parallel double track mainlines. These sections were from Lehighton to White Haven where the CNJ would use the LV rails and from White Haven to Laurel Run where the LV used the CNJ rails. The CNJ had the best route over Penobscot mountain and the LV had the best route from Whitehaven to Lehighton.
Following the CNJ pull out of PA in 1972, the LV assumed operations of all CNJ trackage in PA. In doing so it gained the CNJ allentown yard and was able to abandon the Packerton Yard in Lehighton. Also the LV phased out the LV mainline between Allentown and Lehighton in favor of the CNJ line because of the online Zinc plant in Palmerton PA.