Railroad Forums 

• Question about the Burlington & Missouri River RR in NEB

• Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
 #261589  by travelrobb

Let's all get into the way back machine, shall we? I understand that the C.B.& Q. acquired the B&MoR RR in NEB in 1882, but did the latter operate as a nominally separate company for a while? If so, until when?

I ask because I have an old B&MoRRR NEB switch key that would appear to date from after 1900--and some people have claimed the key dates to the 1920s.

If I've stumped the group, can anyone refer me to someone who might know?

Thanks,

Robb

#285122  by squints16

While the Burlington and Missour River Rail Road in Nebraska was virtually under the control of the C.B.&Q. for some time, in technically never was a subsidiary of the "Q". It remained an independent coroporation until, on December 31, 1879, the directors of the B&M accepted terms of consolidations proposed by the C.B.&Q. On July 26, 1880, all of the property of the B&M was deeded to the C.B.&Q. The land department continued to operate under the original corporate title after this, but I am not sure for what length of time.