Railroad Forums 

• Naperville Remembered

• Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
 #240062  by Gilbert B Norman

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-rr26.html

Lest anyone wonder why 1950 ordered CB&Q 700 series bi-levels "look like stainless steel outhouses', this incident surely was still "all too fresh' for Q executives.

Although rebuilt many times over, they remain in revenue service to this day.

(this material also posted at the METRA Forum)

#477571  by Engineer Spike

I couldn't find the article that you tried to link. I think that you are talking about the wreck. Even in my time, the old heads used to say that our equipment did not mix, like the rest of Metra's. This was because ours could withstand a harder impact. My time in Burlington Suburban Service was in the late 90s.

#510416  by Gilbert B Norman

Spike, the Sun Times will only archive an article for so long; they are not The New York Times, which offers at their website for a price if you are not a subscriber, any article that has been printed since 1851.