Railroad Forums 

• Maine Central line from Auburn to Canton?

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#75655  by BM6569

Does anyone know if the Maine Central operated the line from Auburn ME to Canton ME? It was ripped up over 40 years ago but I have been trying to find maps and pictures of the line. Can't find any pictures of the Hebron station and the junction at mechanic falls? Any help?

#75677  by ferroequinarchaeologist

Maine Central operated the line from 1907 to the end. Previously the Portland & Rumford Falls, a broad-gauge (5ft 6 in, I think) line. It is covered in detail in Robert Lindsell's Rail Lines of Northern New England. Abandoned 1951-52.

PBM

#75793  by wolfmom69

The line was taken out of service from Rumford Jct. to Poland as early as 1947(there was virtually no business on this end of the line. So,from then until the line was torn up,in 1952,it was served by a local from Livermore to Poland station. Heberon Station may well have been gone by 1952,and my late dad,who went to Hebron Academy in 1927-29,told of getting off
/on at West Minot Station,along with workers/patients at the nearby State T.B. Sanitorium. W.Minot station(brick) still stands,and has been a private home for years. The Poland Station is also a residence,and has kept its integrity as a former depot. The stone Mech. Falls. Depot(MEC) remains,hidden in a small shopping ctr. next to the P.O.I have a couple of photos of the diamond area & Pleasant St. interchange track with the G.T.The best station photos are in Lord's book,"New England Country Depots",but Heberon is not there. Let me know if you need more info on the "original" Rumford Branch,as I've researched and explored the line quite a bit in recent years. Bud :wink:
 #1427879  by smalltown

He Guys and Gals I wanted to introduce myself. I am one of the directors of the Hebron Maine Historical Society in the small town of Hebron Maine. The town is rather small about 1,400 people, and the Historical Society as you can imagine is very small, but we will lose what we now think is the entire albeit small station if we let the town have it's way.They are anxious to rip it down fairly quickly. The town has rebuffed our request for funds to move, and restore the building with volunteers so a campaign to raise funds locally will probably be needed, and quickly.

I am ignorant about railroads save for what I have recently been researching, and I sure could use some help.
Rather than restate my information I am attaching a copy of an E-mail that I have been sending out without much success in getting replies. As the forum will not allow my posting too many photos in this post I have posted just the front and rear of the building.

I found on this forum a post titled the "Maine Central Line from Auburn to Canton" in which wolfmom69 states they had done extensive research on this line. Sadly I don't see any link in wolfmom69 screen name to send a private message.
What I am trying to do is verify that the building you will see in my copied E-mail is the actual station. I do know there was what I would call a freight building that still stands on the opposite side of the tracks, and is now converted into private living space that I can take a photo, and post if anybody wants to see that.

Photos are very difficult to find and would be especially useful in fund raising and restoration efforts.

Please let me know your thoughts.

smalltown
Looks like I need to get ahold of a copy of Lords book.
Attachments:
What I think must have been the front of the building facing the track
What I think must have been the front of the building facing the track
DSCF1790a.jpg (74.45 KiB) Viewed 4624 times
rear of building
rear of building
DSCF1779.JPG (92.01 KiB) Viewed 4624 times
Attachments:
E-mail letter sent out requesting any information
(466.56 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
 #1428004  by smalltown

I forgot to add the PDF of the E-mail I am sending out I referred to above.

Mikejf The building that I think is the original station was moved several hundred yards to a field.
Copy of an E-mail I have been sending out
(334.55 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Attachments:
Top 2 photos were believed to be the East Hebron station, but I think the last photo was the station.
(466.56 KiB) Downloaded 103 times