Railroad Forums 

• Seeking info on Clifford Somerville, B&M p.r. director 1950s

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1497390  by Morning Zephyr

I recently came across correspondence from B and M public relations director Clifford Somerville, written in the 1960s. I believe he led the company's press and public relations from some point in the 1940s into 1960s. He lived in Malden, and passed away in the mid-1970s. I would like to hear from any of his descendants (my cousins) or anyone who knew him, to share family info.
 #1499947  by jbvb

The 1957 Official Guide of the Railways lists George H. Hill as Assistant to President - Public Relations. His name often shows up in photo credits in that era. No P.R. officials are listed in 1952 or 1961 Official Guides.
 #1500092  by arthur d.

Excerpts from R.M Neal's "High Green and the Bark Peelers" (Duell, Sloan and Pearce 1950) a letter from author Neal to engine man Henry Beaulieu:
"Next time you're in Boston, please go to the public relations department and ask the top man whether the B&M would like to have a book written about it...."
... "That top man was George H. Hill."