Railroad Forums 

• Sleeping Car Routings

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1255652  by jbvb

AFAICT Rockport, ME never had a railroad, so NYC - Rockport would be the end of the B&M branch from Beverly through Gloucester, MA. That and the NYC - Portsmouth sleeper were most likely cut out of the State of Maine at Lowell and moved to Boston in a New Hampshire Division train, then put on Eastern Route trains. There wasn't either a switcher or an appropriate track layout to route Portsmouth via Rockingham Jct.
 #1255810  by edbear

When I worked for the B & M 1968-86, one of the oldtimers told me the Rockport sleeper was routed via North Station off the Maine summer train at Lowell and via scheduled local trains via North Station to Rockport then reverse route for return. The Portsmouth sleeper was cutoff at Rockingham Jct. and a deadhead move, probably switcher and coach came out of Portsmouth, got the sleeper and brought it over to Portsmouth. Return to the through train was done in reverse. Only a few years earlier, there had been a SURFSIDE that covered North Shore vacation towns by running Lowell-Lowell Jct.-Wilmington Jct.-North Reading-North St., Salem-Eastern Route-Portsmouth-Portland. Diner was attached at North St.
 #1256079  by joshg1

RE: the 1941 list, individual sleepers were set off at Claremont Jc, WRJ, and Woodsville? And not, one could buy a sleeper ticket from New York to these destinations, but the car kept going to Montreal or Bretton Woods? I can think of two likely ways to get to Woodsville. I think it worth mentioning some duplicate White Mountains track was abandoned between 1920 and '41.
 #1256289  by Statkowski

The consist book shows separate destinations for separate cars. Of course, since it was a New Haven consist book, once it was no longer on New Haven tracks they could care less about it, but it wouldn't make sense to show one thing in the consist book and have totally different car destinations. If the car was continuing on to Montreal, it would say Montreal, no White River Junction. Don't forget, these were Pullman owned-and-operated cars.
 #1257453  by gokeefe

Statkowski wrote:Concerning the through service, it also included through ticketing. At Grand Central Terminal, New York, one could purchase a NH/B&M/MEC/SRRL ticket - it came perforated in four parts so that each railroad's conductor could collect his ticket.
I cross posted this to the Reservations and Ticketing - The Good Old Days thread in the Rail Travel & Trip Reports Forum.