Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #77991  by dkgrubb

There is no WM forum, so perhaps a thread on here is appropriate. Does anyone have any information on the Western Maryland in Marion County, WEst Virginia, near Fairmont, and in Idamay and Carolina, and Cheifton yard? Thanks so much!
KEith
 #78295  by Guest

The Fairmont Bingamon subdivision, from Hutchinson to Pine Bluff and the Fairmont Helens Run subdivision, from Chiefton to Ida May, originated a lot of coal for the WM. Chiefton was the base of operations and the WM ran from there to Bowest via trackage rights over the B&O. Ida May mine, which closed ca.1972, was owned by Bethlehem Steel so the output from Ida May all moved east on the WM. Williams Mine I think closed later in the 1970's.
For all the coal that came from here these branches must have been the least photographed.