Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #4213  by Trainheartedguy

Any outside comments on the importance of Brunswick to the B&O? Was the yard complex as important as I have been told it was? What caused the main operations to move west in the late 20s? Have I lost anyone with any of this?

#51977  by pdman

When I worked for the company in the late 60s in the Marketing Department (I was to monitor the fleets of large covered hopper cars, insulated box cars, coil steel cars, and others) and propose purchasing more and making some mechanical recommendations. Among other things Brunswick at that time was a holding yard of equipment in need of repair. There were moderate repairs done there as well as upgrading and rehab when some were in wrecks. A lot of the fixing was from shippers and receivers damaging cars while loading and unloading. It was amazing how they had no regard for the care and condition of rail cars.