Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #767471  by b&m 1566

I just finished watching an episode on the Travel Channel that talked about Flinderation Tunnel in Salem, WV and unfortunately I missed the beginning. They say its one of the most haunted places in the state do to a train wreck that took place.
My questions are:
1. When was the tunnel built?
2. When was the railroad through the tunnel abandoned and why?
3. The show stated the rail was removed in the 1990's but what exact year was the track removed from the tunnel?
4. For those that have been there, is it really haunted?
 #768060  by BaltOhio

All I can offer is that this tunnel, along with the others on this section of the Clarksburg-Parkersburg line, was built between 1853 and 1854 by the Northwestern Virginia RR, technically an independent company but essentially financed by the B&O. The full line was opened between Grafton and Parkersburg in 1857.

I'm sure that someone else here knows the date that the Clarksburg-Parkersburg section of the line was abandoned.