Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #711355  by outinindiana

Can I ask a silly question? How do you pronounce "Pere Marquette?"

Is it pronounced "PEAR," "PER-AY," or some other way?
 #711590  by hutton_switch

Though I may incur the wrath of Hoosiers and other Midwesterners in that general area, I, as an Easterner, pronounce it the latter way.
 #711999  by atsf sp

Boston we pronounce it "PEE-AIR" "MAAR-KET" but don't pronounce a plain market.
 #714463  by BaltOhio

"Pere" is French for "Father", and in this case the name honored Pere (Father) Jacques Marquette, an early French Jesuit missionary who explored the Midwest in the late 1600s and who died and was originally buried at or near Ludington, Mich. Ludington was originally named Pere Marquette, and the railroad's name was descended from a predecessor line called the Flint & Pere Marquette (i.e., Ludington) Railroad. (Ludington, of course, was the F&PM/PM/C&O's terminal for its Lake Michigan steamer and carferry services.)

All of which means that, Midwestern pronunciations notwithstanding, it's pronounced the French way -- PEAR, with accent over the first "e" (or "PAIR", if you want).
 #723190  by COEN77

atsf sp wrote:Boston we pronounce it "PEE-AIR" "MAAR-KET" but don't pronounce a plain market.
Back in the '70s I worked with Pere Marquette (PM) engineers out of Walbridge it was pronounced like in the quote above.
 #723287  by BaltOhio

COEN77 wrote:
atsf sp wrote:Boston we pronounce it "PEE-AIR" "MAAR-KET" but don't pronounce a plain market.
Back in the '70s I worked with Pere Marquette (PM) engineers out of Walbridge it was pronounced like in the quote above.
Shame on them. Somebody should have given them French lessons and history lessons both. But when I went to work for the C&O in 1955, everyone I dealt with used the "right" pronunciation.