Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #563025  by Schaffner

What were the largest steam locomotives used on the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh in the B&O years? When did steam make the last runs on these lines?
 #563243  by BaltOhio

Most likely the largest were the ex-BR&P 2-8-8-2s, along with some B&O EL-class 2-8-8-0s in later years. I don't have a final year of steam, though.
 #563296  by hutton_switch

I too, can't give an exact date for the last year of steam on the ex-BR&P, though my DVD of The Vanishing American, a filmed record of a steam passenger local on that portion of the B&O, gives 1954 as the last year for regular steam passenger operations, though it's virtually certain that steam proper ended later than that. I plan on attending the B&ORHS 2008 Annual Convention in Butler, PA this fall, and if I find out when the last steam operation took place on this portion of the B&O, I'll hopefully remember to come back here and let everyone know.
 #564863  by jr

Here a couple of dates for the "last run" of steam. However, I don't have the date for the last steam on the entire BR&P.

The transition from steam, to diesel on the Silver Lake Branch occurred on June 1st of 1955. This appears to be very near the end for steam on the rest of the BR&P as well. Sometime in fall of 1955 was also the last run of the Buffalo - Pittsburgh passenger train - it was mostly steam-powered up to the end.

JR