Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #490730  by russp

Does anyone know when the B&O ceased passenger service to Rochester, NY ? I'm guessing 1953 or 1954, but I'm not sure. Thanks for any help you can provide.

#490867  by TB Diamond

Quite sure that the service ended in August, 1953. The train remained steam powered to the end.

#502376  by Otto Vondrak

Rochester Chapter NRHS offers a DVD of a 1950s film called "The Vanishing American" that documents a trip on the B&O Rochester Division from Rochester to Salamanca and back. The narration is cheesy, but the footage is pretty good. Shows a steam powered train with B&O "Royal Blue" liveried heavyweight equipment.

http://rochnrhs.org/store/index.htm (click on the link to our ebay store and look for "The Vanishing American" DVD)

-otto-

#503043  by JT76

yeah it was 1953... my grandfather has that video mentioned... it has really good footage, besides the train, you can see a lot of the landmarks (i can remember the Gainsville station, E Sal Shops and station, and the bridge over rte 16 near michias jct among other things)