Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #318223  by shlustig

Received a call from someone who said that they had some photographs of B&O Cincinnatian, Ambassador, and other psgr and freight trains detouring over the NYC's T&OC Western Div. between Galatea and Stanley Tower due to a major derailment somewhere between Deshler and Toledo.

Since the Ambassador ran vis the North Baltimore Cut-off, presumably the derailment was north of Tontogany.

He wasn't sure of the dates, but guessed that it was late 1940's or early to mid-1950's.

The NYC had TCS fairly early on the T&OC Western line, and I'm not sure just when the interchange tracks at Galatea were removed. If they were already gone, then presumably the Cioncinnati detour movements would have had to access the T&OC at Findlay, probably via the NKP's St. Louis line, and I would think that the Ambassador would have detoured via the PRR between Tiffin and Walbridge.

Does anybody have any information about this incident?

#318331  by hutton_switch

I strongly suggest that you post your inquiry over at the Yahoo! B&O Forum. There is an extremely strong knowledge base of almost everything B&O at that venue, and is the primary hangout for members of the B&O RR Historical Society. Of course, you'll have to join that forum to post your question. The URL for the B&O Yahoo! forum is http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/B ... e_and_Ohio.