Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #224191  by NW_611

Anyone know what the handful of RSD12s the B&O got from that "other" Virginia railway were typically used for? I can't seem to dig up anything of value, so I figured I'd go ask in a variety of places.

#224295  by Jay Potter

They were used primarily in north-central West Virginia coal service and operated primarily out the Fairmont terminal and secondarily out of the Grafton terminal.

#224421  by NW_611

Thank you kindly! That's the kind of information I was looking for, and that'll be a good start.

#226912  by Aji-tater

"Have you tried Penn Central service lately?"

Yes I have - "Penn Central service" is a very good description of what CSX provides today.

#391088  by Allen Hazen

I lived in Pittsburgh 1969-1976, and watched a lot of trains on the Panther Hollow line. Just once in the early 1970s I saw what I assume were RSD-12 (I don't have the slide I took, it's a long time ago, but what other notch-nosed Alcos in B&O livery were there?) on a train: most likely 1972-1973.