Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #161894  by NJTRailfan

How was that terminal like? Did it have a large retail, concourse and even a waiting area like that of GCT in NYC or Union in Chicago. Does anyone have any pictures? Anythign left of the old place and what's there now in it'as old spot?

Thanks

#163273  by Passenger Extra

There are a few pictures around.

No it was not a terribly big station as Grand Centrals go. I think it had maybe 8 or 10 tracks at most. Main waiting room was a beige colored tavertine and marble. There was a restaurant at on end on a mezzanine level. It did not have a large concourse such as Union Station. Besides the B&O it was used by the Pere Marquette, C&O and Soo Line. Location was Harrison and Wells. about a block or so from Congress.

PX

#163802  by NJTRailfan

Thnaks for the info. Is it safe to say that from the lack of interior photos is this one of the structures that was better on the outside then in sort of thing? Too bad. Atleast they could've converted the building into an office/retail type of deal like Dearborn went under. Now that's beautiful of what they did to Dearborn rather then tearing it down. Esp since the greatest part is the B&O clock Tower with sign and bell alogn with al that great brick work. Atleast that should've been saved

#165487  by Passenger Extra

Actually I believe it was used in a movie once, bac k inthe 40's I guess.

The B&O tower was kind of a Landmark and not an unusual feature to other terminals the B&O built: at least Elizabeth, NJ, and Dayton, Ohio had similar towers, maybe a couple others .

PX