Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #90990  by AlexC

I'm looking to model the PRR in South Philly in 1951 and am wondering what types of locomotives I would expect to find there on the B&O tracks.

I'm also planning Army/Navy game modelling, and it's my understanding that the B&O ran a few trains there with spectators from Annapolis.
Does anyone know what the consists might have been?

thanks in advance...
-alex

#91039  by Passenger Extra

As to what kind of consists B&O ran for the Army-Navy games, pretty much the B&O standard reclining seat coaches, WITH THE WINDOW SHADES DOWN, it was considered bad luck by the Midshipmen to go through Philadelphia with the windows shades up.

#91095  by Passenger Extra

I was just reminded that the Army-Navy games were played in Philly and that it was bad luck to go through Baltimore with the window shades up.
 #91108  by Urban D Kaye

AlexC wrote:I'm looking to model the PRR in South Philly in 1951 and am wondering what types of locomotives I would expect to find there on the B&O tracks.
-alex
As for the B&O, I'd guess Q4b Mikes and P7 Pacifics. Maybe some hi-hood Geeps or an F7 leading a racetrack train. Not sure what was switching Eastside at the time.
-Urban

#91335  by hutton_switch

There has been one heck of a lot of message traffic on this very subject over in Yahoo's Baltimore and Ohio forum! The messages there are in the public domain, though if you want to post something, you'll have to join. You'll have to navigate through the plethora of messages, or you can do a search. The URL for this group is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Baltimore_and_Ohio.

#91506  by AlexC

Thanks for all of your prompt replies.

What's the history of the shades?

I joined the yahoogroup this morning, and searched around a bit. Unfortunately the yahoogroup search feature is terrible!