Railroad Forums 

Discussion about Florida passenger rail operations including proposals. Official web-sites:
Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority
For Virgin Rail/Brightline: Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

#628083  by Noel Weaver

CSX dispatches Tri-Rail.
This was supposed to change early in 2008 but like lots of other things here in Florida, big announcements and then lots of
nothing.
Noel Weaver
 #629910  by Kurt-Trirail

transitrider wrote:Tri Rail and State of Florida owns the line between West Palm to Miami that when the state bough the tracks as well.
The state, specifically. CSX remains in charge of dispatch.

-Kurt
 #629988  by transitrider

Kurt-Trirail wrote:
transitrider wrote:Tri Rail and State of Florida owns the line between West Palm to Miami that when the state bough the tracks as well.

-Kurt
Yeah but there was rumor that TriRail wants to own the tracks and upgrade them so they may run express trains in the spring which will have express from West Palm Beach to Miami
 #630033  by Noel Weaver

transitrider wrote:
Kurt-Trirail wrote:

-Kurt
Yeah but there was rumor that TriRail wants to own the tracks and upgrade them so they may run express trains in the spring which will have express from West Palm Beach to Miami
I don't think there is any truth to this at all. Many of the riders on Tri-Rail do not travel the full length of the route.
On and off traffic at Fort Lauderdale for example is pretty heavy. They do not have equipment nor funds for any additional
service and in fact they may be running more trains right now than they should given their equipment situation. They have
had to cancel trains a number of times for equipment problems or lack of equipment.
As for the dispatcher, thanks to CSX, Tri-Rail is forced to employ an extra train dispatcher who keeps a train sheet of
movements over the high level bridge here in Fort Lauderdale. He has a small model board but he has no control over any
signals nor switches in this operation. This is another example of incompetence on the part of the State of Florida.
Noel Weaver
 #630421  by transitrider

I don't think there is any truth to this at all. Many of the riders on Tri-Rail do not travel the full length of the route.
On and off traffic at Fort Lauderdale for example is pretty heavy. They do not have equipment nor funds for any additional
service and in fact they may be running more trains right now than they should given their equipment situation. They have
had to cancel trains a number of times for equipment problems or lack of equipment.
As for the dispatcher, thanks to CSX, Tri-Rail is forced to employ an extra train dispatcher who keeps a train sheet of
movements over the high level bridge here in Fort Lauderdale. He has a small model board but he has no control over any
signals nor switches in this operation. This is another example of incompetence on the part of the State of Florida.
Noel Weaver
Do you see any future expandision for TriRail?
 #630522  by Kurt-Trirail

Transitrider, starting rumors is frowned upon (and I notice you did a pretty decent job of irritating the Amtrak discussion forum with similar drivel). Noel already answered your question.

Thread locked.

-Kurt
 #1011539  by Jeff Smith

Unlocking for a news item per conversation with moderator. Let's not revisit the previous issues.

Tri-Rail to discuss takeover of dispatching, track maintenance
Almost since its inception 23 years ago, Tri-Rail has been seeking to take over dispatching and maintenance of the tracks where its commuter trains operate.

The state bought the 72-mile rail corridor from Jacksonville-based CSX in the late 1980s. But CSX retained those duties.
 #1013666  by Jeff Smith

Hot air, it turns out:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/opinio ... 1165.story
The frayed partnership between the Florida Department of Transportation and Tri-Rail took another hit as the South Florida Regional Transportation Authority last week rejected a proposal to take on train dispatching and track maintenance along the commuter line's 72-mile corridor.

The decision was the right one. Tri-Rail couldn't assume what turned out to be a very costly agreement. Unfortunately, the move won't be accepted on its merits by FDOT. The department insists on its unwise Tri-Rail takeover in advocating for legislation giving Gov. Rick Scott and the FDOT secretary the power to appoint a majority of the authority's board and to shift control of the commuter rail's operations to the state.

No cigar, because the deal would have forced Tri-Rail to maintain an additional 150 miles of track spurs and a Hialeah rail yard. The agreement would also limit expansion of commuter rail operations, allow CSX to run more freight trains during daytime commuter rail operations and give the freight line final say on any commercial and residential development proposals along the rail corridor.
Sound like a lot of silly politicking.
 #1143615  by Jeff Smith

^some background, and good news indeed:
Two of the biggest sources of delays for Tri-Rail passengers — slow-moving freight trains at rush hour and mechanical breakdowns — should disappear in about 18 months.

Tri-Rail's board of directors approved an agreement Friday that puts Tri-Rail in charge of maintaining the tracks and scheduling all trains starting in June 2014.

...Jacksonville-based CSX Transportation currently dispatches all trains and maintains the tracks — with the exception of the bridge over the South Fork of the New River in Fort Lauderdale. Tri-Rail currently contracts with Amtrak to dispatch trains over the bridge.

Amtrak will take over scheduling trains on the rest of the tracks.
 #1205800  by Noel Weaver

There was another piece in the local rag this past weekend but I am not able to access it and thus I will not attempt to post a link here. They made three points regarding changes in the works:
1. The new transportation center in Miami is scheduled to open next year (2014 way behind schedule).
2. They plan to take over their own dispatching next year and will add late evening/nightime service sometime, I am not sure exactly when this will happen but it is long overdue.
3. They seem to think they will have service on the Florida East Coast tracks east of their present route in about four years but on this I'll believe it when I see it.
Sorry for the lack of a link, I read the article in a copy of the paper Sunday at my favorite local diner.
Noel Weaver