Railroad Forums 

Discussion about Florida passenger rail operations including proposals. Official web-sites:
Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority
For Virgin Rail/Brightline: Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

#489983  by Noel Weaver

BlockLine_4111 wrote:
cpontani wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tri-Rail is the only place with the bi-level Colorado Railcar DMU, right?
I saw a northbound DMU set in Pompano/Cypress area :wink: yesterday but the set looked empty.
When I rode in October there was only one set of DMU equipment in
operation but I suspect that there is another set in operation today.
I saw a set last Friday on a train that was not on the list of trains that I
had where this equipment was in use.
Noel Weaver

#502950  by masscoastalfan

does anyone know what type of horn is used on these cars? it sounds sort of like an S2 like what is on LIRR cab cars and septa cars.
 #548488  by Rockingham Racer

Noel or someone: any reports on how this equipment is performing? Is it living up to expectations?
masscoastalfan wrote:does anyone know what type of horn is used on these cars? it sounds sort of like an S2 like what is on LIRR cab cars and septa cars.
Can't tell ya, but I've heard better.
 #548513  by Noel Weaver

Last I knew there was a set running on its own and two more cars running behind a locomotive in one direction and being
pushed by a locomotive in the other direction.
I saw the later last week.
Noel Weaver
 #548584  by Kurt-Trirail

Noel, are you saying that there are three sets in service? Can't be - far as I know, the roster consists of four power cars and two trailers that comprise two three-car (motor-trailer-motor) consists, or in the case of a consist powered by a locomotive, motor-trailer-loco, with the spare DMU set out of service.

-Kurt
 #548626  by Noel Weaver

Kurt-Trirail wrote:Noel, are you saying that there are three sets in service? Can't be - far as I know, the roster consists of four power cars and two trailers that comprise two three-car (motor-trailer-motor) consists, or in the case of a consist powered by a locomotive, motor-trailer-loco, with the spare DMU set out of service.

-Kurt
What I saw last week was a southbound in the PM with a diesel, trailer and motor. I assume the other equipment is still
running on its own with a motor - trailer - motor combo.
Noel Weaver
 #549335  by Kurt-Trirail

Sounds as if at least one of the power cars has been demonstrating the weaknesses of its design.

I wonder how long those Detroits will last before they require a rebuild.

-Kurt
 #553903  by wigwagfan

Kurt-Trirail wrote:Sounds as if at least one of the power cars has been demonstrating the weaknesses of its design.
Can anyone elaborate?

TriMet (Portland, OR) just got one power car and one trailing coach, with two more power cars to arrive within a month or two. They are all single-level cars, have two entry doors per side, and the nose has been redesigned from the original "Aero DMU" design, looking a lot like a 1970s-era Amtrak RTG Turboliner. The opening has been pushed back to November now, from September.
 #617535  by DutchRailnut

Actually the last car for tri-rail was shipped last week and spotted in Denver.
The car #704 may not be in runnable condition without a lot of work.
Also shipped the Alaska rail DMU.
 #617574  by Kurt-Trirail

DutchRailnut wrote:Actually the last car for tri-rail was shipped last week and spotted in Denver.
Which #? Didn't realize they ordered another.
DutchRailnut wrote:The car #704 may not be in runnable condition without a lot of work.
I must have missed something - what happened?

-Kurt
 #617596  by DutchRailnut

Kurt the car is released , as it is paid for, rest of Colorado Railcar ceased to exist.
the car may or may not be finished completly, as I said #704 was spotted in Denver in UP yard.
was the #704 a car back for warranty work, or is it new ????