Railroad Forums 

• Report SEPTA Delays Here:

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1345071  by glennk419

South Jersey Budd wrote:Delays on all trains coming or going north of Jenkintown this morning. Signal problems from the storms last night.
With the storms we had here last night, I'm surprised it wasn't worse. I heard PNER L160 coming through Roslyn on their Warminster / Ivyland run at the height of the storm.
 #1348716  by khecht

Wires down in the area of 30th Street, apparently between University City and 30th, perhaps in the tunnel under 31st St, this morning have suspended Airport and Elwyn line service, and Newark trains are operating to the lower level of 30th and terminating there, of course causing rippling effects on other lines. Some shuttle buses are operating so it may be a while.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/Sever ... ended.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/new ... /32489865/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fun times. I was on the first inbound Newark express and we actually operated to 30th with no delays other than the annoyance of getting to final destinations if 30th wasn't it. The crew did a good job to inform what was going on after we left Norwood and listed some other options, and at least one SEPTA employee was greeting the crowd to point people towards options to University City and other Center City destinations. Not a bad performance by the crew and staff handling our train.
 #1350816  by MichaelBug

6576 struck a trespasser just north of Fern Rock. Extra train sent from Roberts to pick up majority of passengers, who could not fit onto a 2-car Glenside local hastily extended to Doylestown.
 #1350819  by TrainPhotos

R3 Passenger wrote:I just got home, but on the way, there was a large brush fire along the inbound ROW (my guess would be about 100-150 feet along the ROW) at Somerton Station. I don't know if any delays have been announced yet, but the fire department is on the scene. I have noticed for some time that the ROW has had the growing need to be MOW-ed.

A few times over the summer we had off-site training at our Abington and Jenkintown offices. The way we got to and from was mainly via route 1 and philmont ave. The route seemed to mirror the rail line where the fire was. Very overgrown and surrounded by tall trees in many places..
 #1355749  by 34thStreet

Lots of delays today on the El and associated bus routes, as a person jumped in front of the train as it was pulling into 56th street (train was headed towards Center City and Frankford). He got stuck underneath the train and died, police are confirming he took his own life.

As the el was shut down between 52nd and 69th, there was alot of residual delays, took Septa a while to get shuttle buses rolling, and regular buses that connect to the El were showing "Take Next Bus" on their destination signs. Passengers at 56th were stuck for a long time, as shuttle buses from previous stops were too full to stop, and the 21/31 buses were also packed. Very poor communication from Septa, their Twitter folks were contradicting the personnel at the scene.

I happened to be on the train that the man jumped in front of, luckily for me perhaps, on the 4th car so I didn't see it, although I do like to ride the RF window when I can. Definitely keep the train operator in your thoughts/prayers, I can't imagine what he must be going through right now.

News links:
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/1 ... CBS_Philly" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://6abc.com/news/person-dies-after- ... n/1066156/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1358525  by el_nino

Train #9536 (I think) experienced some sort of fire near Villanova this morning. No injuries reported and everyone got off safely. Looks like it was a Silverliner IV consist.
 #1358550  by zebrasepta

el_nino wrote:Train #9536 (I think) experienced some sort of fire near Villanova this morning. No injuries reported and everyone got off safely. Looks like it was a Silverliner IV consist.
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/1 ... rain-fire/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
VILLANOVA, Pa. (CBS) — SEPTA says a fire was reported underneath a Paoli/Thorndale train around 8 a.m. Monday.

Officials say this happened just before the Villanova Station.

The fire was quickly placed under control.

SEPTA says it’s unclear what caused the fire at this time.

Officials say all passengers were evacuated and are waiting for the next available train.
 #1361141  by aem7ac921

Train 6325 broke down on the West Trenton Line during the morning rush on Thursday near Rydal station. After 2 attempts of recycling the engine, it still didn't work. They had to call out the spare consist to rescue 6325's passengers. According to SEPTA, an AEM-7 is the culprit.
 #1362085  by MichaelBug

Train 5711 was annulled at North Wales this morning (Thursday 12/17/15) due to heavy smoke coming from the 4th car. North Penn FD, North Wales PD responded. Train 513 was backed to Lansdale & picked up 5711's passengers on the outbound platforms at North Wales & Gwynedd Valley. 513 was expressed from Ambler to Temple U.
 #1373017  by JeffersonLeeEng

Train #215...scheduled depart from Elm Street at 11:40am on Sun, Feb28th, 2016...

Been noticing that we probably barely topped 25 mph between Norristown and Spring Mill and currently running over 10 minutes behind schedule. No alerts or explanation via the website. Can't see any evidence of track work at all. A bit windy, yes, so unless it's a concern regarding losing the pantograph on this SLIV pair, I don't know why we've been crawling along the banks of the Schuylkill River...
 #1379728  by khecht

AEM-7 2307 apparently died on 9212 this morning south of Wilmington, creeping by me at Claymont an hour late on the express inbound track and empty with powerless coaches and no headlight on cab car 2408. 9218 accommodated passengers with a standing room only train that expressed from Ridley Park, but was itself further delayed by door problems on SLV 717.

We passed the 9212 consist, which stopped short of HOOK on the express track, but I don't know if it completely died, it was to let Amtrak pass or switch it onto the local track behind 9218.