Railroad Forums 

• 16th st junction

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#527159  by kevikens

I am not sure of the terminology but I think under the Reading RR this was called the 16th St Junction where the Reading split with the Norristown Line going west and the rest of the Reading going NW to Wayne Junction while the PRR's Chestnut Hill Line crossed over the Reading. Now, of course, this is all Septa's. I stumbled onto this location yesterday and it is a busy spot with the scenic PRR bridge and a nice curve. The couple blocks around this site are loaded with old bridges. The light was not quite right for some good shots but the reason I am writing this is to check on the advisability of rail fanning this spot. This place looks like the heart of North Philly. I don't mind going into "iffy" spots but as I have never rail fanned this location I am a bit leery about this place. Anybody out there familiar with this spot ? Also anything besides Septa MU's use these tracks ? Thanks

JU

#527312  by amtrakhogger

16th St. Junction was known as "JU" interlocking on the Reading. Before the JU was remoted, there was a tower at the north end if the interlocking
in between the 9th St Branch (Mainline) and the Norristown Line. When I
worked there some crews still called 16th St Jct as JU on the radio.
 #527420  by limejuice

kevikens wrote:Anybody out there familiar with this spot ? Also anything besides Septa MU's use these tracks ? Thanks
Well it's a pretty dangerous area crime-wise. Working in the interlocking can also be pretty precarious, as the north end of the main line goes into a blind curve, and trains move pretty quickly here. Traffic down here seems to happen in clusters. You'll have ten minutes of nothing and then several trains in each direction back-to-back. MU's are about all you'll see, aside from the push/pulls during the rush. However, there's various flavors of traffic visible up on the NEC with Amtrak and freight moves. One interesting thing that seems to happen often at JU is this "train race" phenomenon where you'll see two trains going south on 3 and 4 simultaneously, appearing as if they were racing.
 #529021  by Readingblueliner

unless you're carrying a 9MM at your hip or a 32 Cal. pistol, I wouldn't even THINK of " Railfanning" at 16 Street Interlocking. The interlocking is located at 17th and Cambria and there's alot of shooting, stabbings and etc. I know the area well
 #529028  by limejuice

Readingblueliner wrote:unless you're carrying a 9MM at your hip or a 32 Cal. pistol, I wouldn't even THINK of " Railfanning" at 16 Street Interlocking. The interlocking is located at 17th and Cambria and there's alot of shooting, stabbings and etc. I know the area well
9mm? .32? For what, bouncing off the assailant? Or shooting at the vermin down there? .40 S&W minimum, man. .45 ACP recommended.
 #529211  by Readingblueliner

Put it this way Limejuice, the once bridge going over the Manual Signal at 16th street is at like 17th and Clearfield, I know it well, it's a horendous spot. Butyou're point is well taken'
 #529549  by the sarge

limejuice wrote:
Readingblueliner wrote:unless you're carrying a 9MM at your hip or a 32 Cal. pistol, I wouldn't even THINK of " Railfanning" at 16 Street Interlocking. The interlocking is located at 17th and Cambria and there's alot of shooting, stabbings and etc. I know the area well
9mm? .32? For what, bouncing off the assailant? Or shooting at the vermin down there? .40 S&W minimum, man. .45 ACP recommended.
I carry* a .32 with Winchester silver tip hollow points. When looking at the ballistics and shooting into a wet phone book, the carry weight to stopping power ratio is phenomenal. I also have a Ruger SP101 .357 magnum with a two inch barrel. Light, powerful (Especially with hydra-shock hollow points), but only has 5 bullets compared to 8 with the 32. Also, with the .32, I do not have to worry about the bullet shooting through someone and hitting an innocent bystander.

Anayway, back to railfanning. I’ll affirm the point that this area is dangerous -even in daylight hours.

* I have a permit and can legally carry a weapon. I am also very qualified and know how to use a weapon safely (9 years in the Marines, three being a marksmanship instructor). I do not recommend anyone carry a weapon unless they are legal, know the weapon, and FULLY understand the laws of the state and any legal repercussions, criminal and civil, for applying deadly force
 #529603  by AlexC

the sarge wrote: Anayway, back to railfanning. I’ll affirm the point that this area is dangerous -even in daylight hours.
Thanks... I didn't want to remind people again this week.

Let's keep it on trains & transit, not the neighborhood.
 #529660  by Readingblueliner

Was 101st airborne, 506th in regimine, 1st batalion, Ranger Trained in Panama. Anyhow Limejuice, let's keep the topic on Railfanning
 #1500858  by Bill R.

Lets dig this topic out of the grave.

Has anybody recently been to the 17th & Indiana Bridge location? If so, could you describe the current level of danger in the area?
 #1500893  by CNJGeep

Bill R. wrote:Lets dig this topic out of the grave.

Has anybody recently been to the 17th & Indiana Bridge location? If so, could you describe the current level of danger in the area?
Still awful.
 #1500922  by glennk419

Bill R. wrote:Lets dig this topic out of the grave.

Unfortunately, gentrification has not yet reached this area. Temple University Station would undoubtedly be a much better location and everything that goes through 16th Street Junction also goes through Temple although I'll admit it's not quite as interesting as an interlocking. I used to shoot at G Street and at Frankford Junction along the NEC all the time years ago and sadly, it's another area where I wouldn't even want to stop for a red light today.