Railroad Forums 

• Best Places In Philly To Photograph Regional Rail Trains

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#692266  by SubwayTim

chuchubob wrote:Also, I agree with Terrapin Station that the area on Girard around the Reading viaduct is a good location.
Is the neighborhood around 8th and Girard safe??? Anyway, I like that Reading viaduct...it looks a little like the El with catenary!
 #693369  by chuchubob

SubwayTim wrote:
chuchubob wrote:Also, I agree with Terrapin Station that the area on Girard around the Reading viaduct is a good location.
Is the neighborhood around 8th and Girard safe??? Anyway, I like that Reading viaduct...it looks a little like the El with catenary!
I never felt threatened there.
 #697750  by xThirdrailx

The neighborhood around 8th and Girard is a pretty safe area for taking photos.
With all the new developments and stores that are in the area, there are always
people around and the cops are always in the area so there is no trouble.
Reading viaduct is one of my favorite places to take photos.
 #735188  by chuchubob

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I might be in Septa Land tomorrow. What places on the R7 within the Philly City Limits are good for photography of southbounds in the afternoon. I'm interested in checking out the Schuykill River Bridge of the NEC.
Under normal circumstances I'd say take the Route 15 trolley to the Zoo and walk onto the Girard Ave bridge over the Schuylkill. Unfortunately, the Route 15 trolley isn't operating because of the TWU 234 strike.
 #735805  by HangarRat

It's not quite what people come here to see, but I thought this might find an appreciative audience here. I made a timelapse video of SEPTA's commuter mainline between the Center City Commuter Tunnel and 30th Street Station. I shot it from a garage at 20th and JFK Blvd at dusk Friday. You can't tell which AEM is pulling which Bomber set or spot 269, but I think it's interesting.

Make sure you watch it in HD. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6N9GN4vYyY
 #743695  by NotYouMOS

SubwayTim wrote:
ChemiosMurphy wrote:
No platform shots
No. I explicitly said the Septa platform to the cop and was denied because "It's a post 9/11 world in which we live in." I just shook my head and walked on.
I know it wouldn't be a wise idea to get sarcastic with a cop, but I would almost be tempted to ask "Do I look like a terrorist???" and/or "Do you believe in railfans???" if one was to stop me from taking pictures because it's a "post 9/11 world". If a cop approaches me because I'm taking pictures, maybe I'll snap a picture of HIM!
And what exactly does a terrorist look like?
 #761447  by ctrabs74

As far as good spots to photograph trains in Philly, any station between Torresdale and Bridesburg would be a good spot, since you not only get SEPTA, but Amtrak as well (and, if you play your cards right, an occasional NJT ACES or deadhead move).

I typically take my photos with my Blackberry (some of them come out good; others, eh, not so much), and haven't had too many issues on the RRD (save for Paoli during peak hours when the Amtrak Stationmaster is on duty).

North Wales is a decent spot to take pictures, IMHO. Norristown TC is also a good photo spot, but I don't particularly care for the area immediately surrounding NTC.
 #866580  by Clearfield

The railfan window of a Silverliner V.