Railroad Forums 

• December 15 Schedules

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1527798  by ekt8750

First digit indicates where the train originates/terminates. Three digit trains (and 4 digit ones that start with 0) originate/terminate on the standard paired branches. 9s originate/terminate at Roberts Yard (first/last stop Temple), 7s at one of end point yards on the Reading side and deadhead to/from Temple. So their change in numbers indicate a change their start or destination.
 #1527805  by CNJGeep

rcthompson04 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:57 am http://www.septa.org/schedules/upcoming-rail.html#thr

I am curious what is the logic changing a train from 9553 to 7553 or 7363 to 9363. Is it a way of tracking what yard the equipment is coming from or going to?
7 prefix with an odd number is Chestnut Hill East start
9 prefix with an odd number is Roberts start
 #1527817  by rcthompson04

CNJGeep wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:27 pm
rcthompson04 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:57 am http://www.septa.org/schedules/upcoming-rail.html#thr

I am curious what is the logic changing a train from 9553 to 7553 or 7363 to 9363. Is it a way of tracking what yard the equipment is coming from or going to?
7 prefix with an odd number is Chestnut Hill East start
9 prefix with an odd number is Roberts start
Wayne Junction yard/shops?
 #1527869  by CNJGeep

Roberts is south of Wayne Junction station.

The two trains that two start and end at Wayne Electric do also have Roberts prefixes, though.

CHE Starts are trains that lay over in the yard midday.
 #1530838  by expresstrain

Can I ask a question of the SEPTA experts here? In a few Sundays, I will be travelling from a family visit leaving West Trenton going to the Philadelphia Airport.

I notice that the new SEPTA schedules have the southbound West Trenton trains arriving at Jefferson (and Temple and Suburban, for that matter) at exactly the same time. (4:50 pm in the case of the train I think I will be on.) Are these trains designed for an immediate transfer across the platform at Jefferson? Google Maps doesn't show it as a transfer, instead showing a 30-minute wait for the next airport train. But barring a delay, it would seem like both trains could arrive across from one another, BART-style, but I don't ride SEPTA, so I'd be curious what the usual practice is.

Thanks in advance.
 #1530841  by redarrow5591

expresstrain wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:51 pm Can I ask a question of the SEPTA experts here? In a few Sundays, I will be travelling from a family visit leaving West Trenton going to the Philadelphia Airport.

I notice that the new SEPTA schedules have the southbound West Trenton trains arriving at Jefferson (and Temple and Suburban, for that matter) at exactly the same time. (4:50 pm in the case of the train I think I will be on.) Are these trains designed for an immediate transfer across the platform at Jefferson? Google Maps doesn't show it as a transfer, instead showing a 30-minute wait for the next airport train. But barring a delay, it would seem like both trains could arrive across from one another, BART-style, but I don't ride SEPTA, so I'd be curious what the usual practice is.

Thanks in advance.
Typically no. The tracks are assigned based on final destination. In your case, your West Trenton (Neshaminy Line) train continues on the Harrisburg line to Malvern so the track assignment will be 4A. The Airpoort (regardless of origin) is 3B. My advice is to let the crew know that you are trying to make the 4.50 Airport train; if they aren't heavily delayed in route they will try to make the connection. Otherwise leave earlier.
 #1530842  by MACTRAXX

EXT: I looked at both the current West Trenton schedule and the Airport Schedule to see how this transfer
would work at Jefferson Station...The train that you plan to ride is #3537 from West Trenton which will run
through to Paoli and Malvern. This train and the Airport train that you would like to connect with both stop
in the B Section at JS right across the platform from one another.

#3537 from WTR is due at Temple University at 4:44 PM. Airport train #9451 begins at-and is due to leave Temple at 4:43 PM. Both trains are scheduled to leave Jefferson Station at 4:50 PM. What you can do is to
inform the WTR train crew of your intention and than be ready to get off as the train arrives at JS. #9451
has at least three minutes of layover time at JS - provided your WTR train is on time you should make this
tight connection...If the WTR train runs late the next airport train is 5:20 PM - operating from Warminster.
In this case - what time do you need to be at PHL by? What time is your plane scheduled to leave?

The fare from WTR to the Airport is $9.25 prepaid (a Anywhere via CCP one way ticket) or $10 on board.
Try to purchase legacy tickets in advance if possible - Quick Trip one way tickets bought from a ticket
machine are only valid on the day of sale...MACTRAXX
 #1530843  by MACTRAXX

redarrow5591 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:01 am
expresstrain wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:51 pm Can I ask a question of the SEPTA experts here? In a few Sundays, I will be travelling from a family visit leaving West Trenton going to the Philadelphia Airport.

Thanks in advance.
Typically no. The tracks are assigned based on final destination. In your case, your West Trenton (Neshaminy Line) train continues on the Harrisburg line to Malvern so the track assignment will be 4A. The Airpoort (regardless of origin) is 3B. My advice is to let the crew know that you are trying to make the 4.50 Airport train; if they aren't heavily delayed in route they will try to make the connection. Otherwise leave earlier.
RA: Track 4 - Section *B* is where Malvern trains are scheduled from at Jefferson
Station. In this case these two trains WILL platform across from one another.

Trenton trains board from Track 4 in the A Section at both Jefferson and Suburban
Stations. This is to the west end of the same island platform at both stations.
Trenton trains operate hourly from Chestnut Hill East on weekends.

MACTRAXX
 #1530910  by CNJGeep

Trains can show up on 3 OR 4, but both in the B Section.

West Trenton is a dog on the weekends, good luck.
 #1530925  by expresstrain

Thanks to everyone for the very helpful info. To answer the question asked above, my flight isn't until 7:30 pm (I like to get to the airport really early to avoid stress) so even if I miss this connection, I will be fine. I was really just looking to avoid spending half an hour waiting on the platform.

Much appreciated!
 #1530942  by andrewjw

I would expect you would have better luck at Suburban - don't they usually hold for close to five minutes there?
 #1530967  by BuddCar711

CNJGeep wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:12 pmWest Trenton is a dog on the weekends, good luck.
Marcus Hook/Wilmington is also a dog on the weekends ever since the geniuses at SEPTA decided to pair that line up with Doylestown.
 #1530976  by rcthompson04

BuddCar711 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:19 am
CNJGeep wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:12 pmWest Trenton is a dog on the weekends, good luck.
Marcus Hook/Wilmington is also a dog on the weekends ever since the geniuses at SEPTA decided to pair that line up with Doylestown.
What was the rationale behind swapping the through train assignments on weekends? Keeping people on their toes and seeing how much chaos you can spread?
 #1530993  by BuddCar711

rcthompson04 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:32 amWhat was the rationale behind swapping the through train assignments on weekends? Keeping people on their toes and seeing how much chaos you can spread?
Possibly, but I do not understand the rationale of pairing the longest line on one side with the longest or 2nd longest line on the other side. It should always be longest to shortest and shortest to longest. SEPTA could make Cynwyd relevant again on the weekends and pair that up with Doylestown (it's only 3 more stops), otherwise make Doylestown stand alone on the weekends, but during the weekends i go to Wilmington, and it has been constantly late ever since.