Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA Rebuilding for the Future Updates

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1532348  by rcthompson04

mcgrath618 wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:16 am
rcthompson04 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:39 pm
mcgrath618 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:36 pm 3) The acquisition of Silverliner VIs (multilevel EMUs) from Bombardier
Another yikes.
Curious what is the yikes on this one.
I like the look of the Bomby EMUs, but they have their fair share of issues. SEPTA should be moving towards Tier Ia or Tier III stock, not Tier I.

The Bomby EMUs are:
•Heavy
•Married triplets
•In all likelihood, slow

And to boot, NJT’s existing MultiLevels have terrible dwell times. SEPTA should be looking into acquiring something like the MTA M9.
I am withholding judgment until the CRRC cars start doing some runs on whether dwell times are impacted substantially. I share the concern in concept though.

I hope that the process is drawn out enough that we find out if Amtrak is serious about a EMU order and SEPTA might be able to take an option on to that order if better.
 #1532444  by 93r8g7

CRRC is the issue of national security, and likely can't deliver a well manufactured, durable product. Most products from China are of subpar quality, anyway. The concerns are real, as are the threats to safety. To denigrate, belittle the decision to go with the Bombardier Bi-Level cars only exposes said individual for the dolt they truly are. Granted we do need more single level cars as well, however the SLIV are likely the most reliable cars we have. Perhaps the authority will purchase the Arrows.
 #1532461  by mcgrath618

93r8g7 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:50 am CRRC is the issue of national security, and likely can't deliver a well manufactured, durable product. Most products from China are of subpar quality, anyway. The concerns are real, as are the threats to safety. To denigrate, belittle the decision to go with the Bombardier Bi-Level cars only exposes said individual for the dolt they truly are. Granted we do need more single level cars as well, however the SLIV are likely the most reliable cars we have. Perhaps the authority will purchase the Arrows.
I think you’re a bit confused; we’re discussing the replacement of the SLVI. The CRRC cars are being brought in to supplement the Comet IIs and IIIs.
 #1532468  by rcthompson04

93r8g7 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:50 am CRRC is the issue of national security, and likely can't deliver a well manufactured, durable product. Most products from China are of subpar quality, anyway. The concerns are real, as are the threats to safety. To denigrate, belittle the decision to go with the Bombardier Bi-Level cars only exposes said individual for the dolt they truly are. Granted we do need more single level cars as well, however the SLIV are likely the most reliable cars we have. Perhaps the authority will purchase the Arrows.
I am curious where you got that from my CRRC car comment. My comment was purely on dwell times tied to having multilevel cars. Bombardier cars are good cars in my opinion, but as others noted, their dwell times leave something to be desired.

I am reserving judgment on the CRRC cars, but other North American users with CRRC rolling stock don't seem to have issues not seen with other rolling stock.
 #1532998  by octr202

The T also has issues with nearly every equipment order. The CRRC cars don't seem that unusual so far, and better than some other orders.
 #1533001  by rcthompson04

octr202 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:08 pm The T also has issues with nearly every equipment order. The CRRC cars don't seem that unusual so far, and better than some other orders.
That is the impression I got. It sounded like the door issue was not caused by a CRRC component.
 #1533659  by CNJGeep

It's been a few weeks now. Hopefully they'll turn next to undercutting that switch from 4 to 2 and getting rid of the mud spots, it's a real kidney buster
 #1533674  by rcthompson04

septaglizzy27 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:46 pm
rcthompson04 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:24 pm The track and switch at the base of the Cymwyd Viaduct has been removed severing the connection with the Main Line middle track. Appears to have happened in the last week.
the one at 52nd st?
Just over the westbound side of the Girard Ave bridge.
 #1534095  by MikeBPRR

Is the Middletown Station expansion/restoration the reason why the wire train has been parked at least every weekend in Media yard for the past month?
 #1534173  by CNJGeep

MikeBPRR wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:09 pm Is the Middletown Station expansion/restoration the reason why the wire train has been parked at least every weekend in Media yard for the past month?
No. They've been doing wire work since the Summer along the branch. It should be done in the beginning of March.