Railroad Forums 

• AEM-7/ALP-44 status

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1376424  by roadmaster

bikentransit wrote:Maybe if they took care of them they'd be more reliable.
In comparison to the milage that amtrak received from the toasters, septa's use of the push pull fleet is near criminal behavior and I cannot believe they're actually planning to replace them. When they do put in an order, add grand larceny to the laundry list of septa crimes. With the new fleet, maybe septa will spice up their operations and actually use them more throughout the day. To see how mundane and lazy septa operations are, just look at this forum, there is a topic with over 20 posts discussing trainsets out on the lines being reversed - seriously? Us railfans are grabbing at anything unique to discuss about septa.

As for maintenance, I know two septa mechanics. Both work on the MFL fleet and they refuse to ride any septa vehicle as they consider riding them as a form of russian roulette . with that said, I think the current unreliability of the toasters can be attributed more from age rather then septa TLC
 #1377576  by njrail3963

Re: The question about ticking (spitting)
Please look at this thread and it will answer your questions "Re: AEM 7 air dryers"
 #1383061  by South Jersey Budd

2302 and 2308 have been at Frazer out of service for a few weeks now. All other sets are running, although they don't seem to run the set to West Trenton regularly. The 4 car set seems like a waste to me.
 #1385881  by Wingnut

Maybe it was identified earlier but I overlooked it. What assignments are run with a four car push pull? For the last two or three years I thought all push pulls were six car sets except for the seven car flyer.

On a slightly related topic it appears the dead line of Comet I's at Overbrook have been joined by a newly retired Silverliner IV.
 #1385894  by khecht

Wingnut wrote:On a slightly related topic it appears the dead line of Comet I's at Overbrook have been joined by a newly retired Silverliner IV.
Well that's interesting. Any idea which unit and why? It's not like there are any new cars coming in right now.

I do recall that in the past some crash repairs have sat there for a while before getting fixed up.
 #1385970  by South Jersey Budd

In the morning 9530 or 9536 is a 4 car bombardier set. At night it's usually 9569.

Most MU's set out on the West end of Overbrook are usually waiting for parts.
 #1386019  by khecht

South Jersey Budd wrote:In the morning 9530 or 9536 is a 4 car bombardier set. At night it's usually 9569.
While 5-car consists (4 coaches + cab car) used to be common prior to SEPTA acquiring the 2550-2559 center door coaches in the late 90s, it's unusual these days. I would assume this is due to the ongoing coach refurbishments? Or is an engine being held together with spit and gum and derated to get it back in service?
 #1386025  by khecht

Also, I see that 9251 (outbound express to Newark, normally a push-pull set) cancelled today out of Center City, so there may be another engine down.
 #1386033  by South Jersey Budd

9251's AEM-7 did die tonight. Not sure what the number was.

2302 and 2308 are still shown out of service at Frazer.

No PP set to West Trenton tonight.

And I think the 4 car set will go away after the rebuilds are complete. Then West Trenton will most likely get their regular set back.

I still can't figure why there are no leased AEM-7's from AMTRAK on SEPTA property to help. The comet coaches are just sitting there derelict as graffiti canvas.
 #1386344  by glennk419

Well at least they can't put transmission fluid in the crankcases like they did with the BUDDs.
 #1389563  by SEPTA Fan 235

Is there any chance that SEPTA will run a farewell excursion like Amtrak did with there units? I know SEPTA ran one for the Blueliners awhile back and one for the Silverliner IIs and IIIs more recently.
 #1389627  by nomis

Rephrase that question ... Will septa be willing to charter an AEM / ALP excursion if an organization organizes it? Both the Philly NRHS and the Friends of Philadelphia Trolleys ran Silverliner II & III farewell tours.